Sweet bottle carbed Pasturisation plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re monitoring pasteurisation,

PUs are the measure of pasteurisation achieved from a combination of temperature and time. One PU results from holding a beverage at 60C for one minute, so 50 PUs needed for cider could be achieved by 60C for 50 minutes, or as suggested by both Jolicoeur and Lea, 65C for 10 minutes. Pasteurisation increases exponentially with temperature.

Seems to me that pasteurization as a goal is different from yeast kill. I don't think we are aiming to get a full pasteurization when the goal is to stop fermentation. Open to be told I am mistaken though.

Well that and my experiment with SafCider vs EC-1118. Saf is much cloudier, and fizzes up when siphoning to the point of breaking the flow, but it tastes a whole lot more round and apple-y so may be worth a batch 🤓)
If you're curious to try more I'd recommend D47 and Mangrove Jack's M02. Not sure what juice you're using, but I just did an experiment with store bought filtered juice and Safcider, EC-1118, D47, Safcider, US-05 (had previously done US-04), and M02. For my preferences, with my juice and fermentation temps (~67 °F for a month and a half, no secondary) the Safcider did beat EC-1118, but D47 and M02 beat Safcider hands down. I need to experiment more but I suspect M02 may become my go to yeast, at least for store bought filtered juice.

Pasteurized my batch of 55 bottles that got back sweetened, half the batch, 2.5 gallons, to 1.010 and the other half to 1.015. Used 1/2 gallon plain apple juice on the 1.010 and the 1.015 with 1/2 gal plain juice plus a can of frozen blueberry pomegranate.

Since this 5 gallons was fermented to 1.000 with 1116 champagne yeast I was a little on the short trigger for timing, figured the prime would ferment fast. Took just a few days and the plastic coke bottle for the 1.015 batch was getting stiff, so opened a bottle and recapped yesterday, did the same today and liked the resulting level of carb.

I bottled in 16 ounce 375 ML Belgians. Set up a water bath canner at 140 to preheat bottles. Set up the pressure canner without gauge or pressure cap at 180 degree water. Ran 10 minutes each. Result was 150Ć’ bottles. Did 7 bottles at a time for 10 minutes.

Last batch did 8 bottles. Bottles having trouble getting into the 140's. So left another 10 for total 20 minutes and ended up around 148Ć’. Interesting that one bottle effected heat transfer that much. Good lesson though! No excitement at all. No bottle bombs or bulged caps.

pasteur.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rick... just got back from a couple of days away so I missed your question about the purpose of pasteurisation. Sounds like you are having fun!

Originally when Pasteur came up with the idea of pasteurisation, it was to inactivate spoilage mechanisms in wine etc, which don't have a big yeast load. This still applies to other beverages such as milk, juice, etc.

In the case of beer, cider and the like where fermentation has taken place, the idea is also to inactivate or kill the yeast so that fermentation doesn't continue in the container (otherwise there is the potential for BOOM!)

Without getting too technical about this, the "magic temperature of 60C" was developed from empirical research by an Italian scientist DelVeccio and others in the 1950s. They came up with a formula PUs=time in minutesx1.393 raised to the power of celsius temperature -60 (i.e. PU=t x 1.393^(T-60)). This is easy enough to calculate with a spreadsheet but even easier just plugging numbers into on-line calculator (google... calconic pasteurisation calculator). So, by monitoring temperature and time it is easy to track your pasteurisation level. (or working out that so many minutes at whatever temperature will give you the desired result).

Breweries still use this approach to pasteurise beer and to tailor it to minimise energy costs. Typically they will heat beer to 72C for 30 seconds which is the equivalent of 60C for 15 minutes (i.e. 15 PUs). For beer 15-30 PUs is enough, but for craft cider which has a higher yeast load, the accepted target is 50 PUs. As I said above, it is actually quite difficult to under-pasteurise cider because even just two minutes at 70C will get to around 50PUs and stop the yeast in its tracks. By the time the bottles cool down a lot more PUs will be generated from the residual heat.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back