American Stout Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whip

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs 001 California Ale
Yeast Starter
2 stage 2.6L yeast starter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 minutes
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Reeses would be jealous!
Grain Bill - 11.75lbs
7lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1lb Briess Flake Oats
1lb Briess Roasted Barley
12oz Crystal/Caramel 60L
12oz Briess Chocolate
10oz Dingmans Munich
8oz Briess Flaked Barley

90 Minute Mash Time
.5tsp Amylase Enzyme @ 90min after infusing grains.

Hops
.3oz Magnum 12.6%AA @ 60min
1oz UK East Kent Goldings 5.7%AA @ 10min

Adjunct Additions
1 Whirfloc tablet @ 15min
1lb Lactose @ 15min

8oz Brewers Best Natural Chocolate Flavor added to secondary fermentor @ 12 days
8oz Brewers Best Natural Peanut Butter Flavor added to secondary fermentor @ 12 days

90 Minute Boil Time

Measured OG - 1.084
Measured FG - 1.014
9.3% ABV

Mash Volumes and Temps.
15 quarts @ 159F for a 90 minute mash at 148F
5.6 gallon fly sparge @ 168F or until 7 gallons in the boil kettle.
Post-boil Volume 5.5 gallons.

Bottling
One cautionary note. I found that 5 ounces of priming sugar was not enough to completely carbonate this recipe when using a total of 16 ounces of flavoring. 5 ounces of priming sugar was fine when only using 4 ounces of each flavoring. But for my tastes, this was just a little under carbed only using the 5 ounces. For the next batch I'm going to use the full 16 ounces of flavoring, but also use a minimum of 7.5 ounces of priming sugar.

This recipe came out with a strong and in your face peanut butter cup flavor. So much so I almost chewed my beer. But it finished like a fine mellow stout with a good strong malty backbone and a nice touch of the Goldings. Overall the finish was clean and slightly dry with very little aftertaste. In the first batch I used only 4 ounces of each of the flavorings and it was good. But I found that I wanted MORE so I doubled the amount of flavoring. So unless you want a strong candy flavor, I would start out on the lite side with only 4 ounces.

A good thick mouth feel but not so thick as to feel like a milkshake coating your mouth.

Question, after plugging in this info into my software (biermacht for android) I am coming up with 1.059 for O.G and only 18.1 IBU (I did swap the magnum for nugget, but left the amount the same)...am I missing something here to bring the O.G up?

For the IBU's just looking at the recipe check your alpha acid % on you recipe, the magnum in this recipe is like 12.6%

as for the OG, no idea how that go so high. I just plugged it into Brewers Friend at it came out like 1.057 OG at 75% efficiency. Punched in the hops w/ the current AA% and it came out at 21.73 IBU so IDK

I use Beer Smith. I don't have any explanations as to how the OG got so high either. Beer Smith put it at something like 1.065. I'm just relating what my hydrometer read for both OG and FG.

I bet it has something to do with the late addition of the lactose (milk sugar)....but that's just a wild guess

I bet it has something to do with the late addition of the lactose (milk sugar)....but that's just a wild guess

I totally forgot the lactose. It seems my brain has been asleep the last few days. I probably need more :mug: ! ! ! Plus I added the amylase enzyme and the few times I've used that, it seems I get a higher OG than I normally would.

Not sure if anyone has tried this recipe yet, but in the past the hardest part about a choc pb porter is getting the pb to shine at all. The choc part seems to be pretty easy.

I have used a whole jar of PB2 and the pb flavor was still subtle at best its a really expensive beer to not turn out perfectly.

Not sure if anyone has tried this recipe yet, but in the past the hardest part about a choc pb porter is getting the pb to shine at all. The choc part seems to be pretty easy.

I have used a whole jar of PB2 and the pb flavor was still subtle at best its a really expensive beer to not turn out perfectly.

what if you offset the amount of chocolate flavor and the PB flavor.....something like 4oz chocolate flavor to maybe 8oz of the PB flavor? I havnt brewed this yet, but it is DEF on my list of "next brews"

Also if you use a large sum of PB you will get a lot of trub at the bottom of your fermenter so it yielded slightly less than I thought it would of.

Also if you use a large sum of PB you will get a lot of trub at the bottom of your fermenter so it yielded slightly less than I thought it would of.

That may be why the OP went w/ flavor extract instead of PB2? @whip thoughts? Also can you comment on any artificial tastes/flavors from the Brewers Bests? That seems to be the knock on the liquid flavorings

Good point on the extract, I hope it has better results id be willing to make this type of porter again for sure!

My LHBS guys said when they do it they use both some PB2 and some extract, they've found its best way to get PB flavor and aroma and last but I haven't tried either yet. I did pick up some brewers best PB flavoring, and I'm gunna try a few drops in my oatmeal stout and see how it is.

That may be why the OP went w/ flavor extract instead of PB2? @whip thoughts? Also can you comment on any artificial tastes/flavors from the Brewers Bests? That seems to be the knock on the liquid flavorings

To speak to the question about questionable flavors. The flavoring I used is NOT labeled as an extract. But in the past I have used an extract in brewing a Dark Cherry Stout. That did have what I refer to as a chemical sort of taste to it that kind of lingered behind the overall taste of the beer. That "chemical" taste is why I added the flavoring at 12 days of secondary. I figured those 2 days would give any off flavors time to dissipate. Much to my delight, using the Brewers Best Natural Flavors in this batch, there was absolutely ZERO off flavors. There was no mistaking the chocolate or the peanut butter flavor and there was no noticable "chemical" taste like I had experienced in previous batches using "extracts".

To speak to the question about questionable flavors. The flavoring I used is NOT labeled as an extract. But in the past I have used an extract in brewing a Dark Cherry Stout. That did have what I refer to as a chemical sort of taste to it that kind of lingered behind the overall taste of the beer. That "chemical" taste is why I added the flavoring at 12 days of secondary. I figured those 2 days would give any off flavors time to dissipate. Much to my delight, using the Brewers Best Natural Flavors in this batch, there was absolutely ZERO off flavors. There was no mistaking the chocolate or the peanut butter flavor and there was no noticable "chemical" taste like I had experienced in previous batches using "extracts".

Thanks for the comment/info. I actually just bought a 4 oz of BB PB flavoring a few weeks a go to give it a try in my oatmeal stout before embarking on a quest for a Sweet Baby Jesus/Belching Beaver Choc PB Milk Stout clone. Excited to give it a try now.
:mug:

Quick question... You say both 60 and 90 minute boil. Which is it? :)

Quick question... You say both 60 and 90 minute boil. Which is it? :)

My apologies! It is a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil. I'm not making excuses, but I was probably heavily appeasing the beer gods. :mug:

My apologies! It is a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil. I'm not making excuses, but I was probably heavily appeasing the beer gods. :mug:

Awesome! I went ahead and did the 90 minute (BIAB) mash and 90 minute boil. :) In the fermenter bubbling away this morning. I had an OG of 1.070 which was right between the BeerSmith estimate and your OG. Can't wait to try this one!

I did chocolate peanut butter porter earlier this year which everyone seemed to love. I ended up using 1# of PB Powder, about 10ml of peanut butter flavoring, cocoa nibs, and a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal as adjuncts and it turned out well.

I did chocolate peanut butter porter earlier this year which everyone seemed to love. I ended up using 1# of PB Powder, about 10ml of peanut butter flavoring, cocoa nibs, and a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal as adjuncts and it turned out well.

When you say you used Cap'n Crunch as an adjunct...do you mean that you mashed it? Or did you add to the boil?

It actually went into the secondary. I took the whole bag, crunched it up some, and dropped it in the secondary bucket with the cocoa nibs, favoring, and PB 2. This was the first time I tried cereal in a beer and it was before I had read about the possibility of preservatives killing off the yeast. I end up kegging instead of bottling so carbonation wasn't a problem but not sure if it would work out the same for bottling.

Awesome! I went ahead and did the 90 minute (BIAB) mash and 90 minute boil. :) In the fermenter bubbling away this morning. I had an OG of 1.070 which was right between the BeerSmith estimate and your OG. Can't wait to try this one!

Glad to hear it. Honestly, you won't be disappointed. One word of caution. If you bottle condition, like I do, this batch takes a full 2 weeks to carb up properly. The first time I made it I tried one around the 10 day mark and it was flat as a pancake. then at 14 days, it was just right.

I made this a few days ago. Even the wort smelled nutty.
Was going to use PB2 for the peanut butter and coco nibs for the chocolate.
This that will work for flavorings?

Can this be made into an extract recipe? I'm a newbie but very interested in trying some more advanced recipes.

How did your batch turn out? I brewed a variation this past weekend. I'll be using a cocoa nib extract (rapid infusion by NO2), about 3 tbsp powdered cocoa powder, half a jar (8oz) PB2 and about 3 tbsp of Peanut Butter extract.

The PB2 seems to have the umami that the extract doesn't.

I think I'll bottle this. I love SBJ, but I can't imagine drinking more than a glass or two of this at a sitting.

I've been tasting my version. I used half Silver Oak Estates extract (strongly hinted that that was what DuClaw uses) and half PB2 in secondary. I also used a rapid infusion of cacao nibs (using no2 cartridges) plus some cocoa powder in secondary. Came out with the same big flavor, peanut butter dominating. I used London Ale Yeast (WLP013). Wondering if agitation in secondary might have helped.

Came out great, better than DuClaw, if I do say so myself. It still needs a way for natural chocolate flavor to come forward. I might add additional cacao nibs in secondary, and possibly a half pound of lactose, to add a milk chocolate note.

Dredging up this thread, as I still have 2 gallons in bottles from my batch. I assumed it is low gravity (about 6% abv) enough to not benefit from aging. Has anyone tried leaving something like this out at cellaring temperatures?

Dredging up this thread, as I still have 2 gallons in bottles from my batch. I assumed it is low gravity (about 6% abv) enough to not benefit from aging. Has anyone tried leaving something like this out at cellaring temperatures?

I let mine sit in the keg for about a month... it got so much better.

Grain Bill - 11.75lbs
7lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1lb Briess Flake Oats
1lb Briess Roasted Barley
12oz Crystal/Caramel 60L
12oz Briess Chocolate
10oz Dingmans Munich
8oz Briess Flaked Barley

90 Minute Mash Time
.5tsp Amylase Enzyme @ 90min after infusing grains.

Hops
.3oz Magnum 12.6%AA @ 60min
1oz UK East Kent Goldings 5.7%AA @ 10min

Adjunct Additions
1 Whirfloc tablet @ 15min
1lb Lactose @ 15min

8oz Brewers Best Natural Chocolate Flavor added to secondary fermentor @ 12 days
8oz Brewers Best Natural Peanut Butter Flavor added to secondary fermentor @ 12 days

90 Minute Boil Time

Measured OG - 1.084
Measured FG - 1.014
9.3% ABV

Mash Volumes and Temps.
15 quarts @ 159F for a 90 minute mash at 148F
5.6 gallon fly sparge @ 168F or until 7 gallons in the boil kettle.
Post-boil Volume 5.5 gallons.

Bottling
One cautionary note. I found that 5 ounces of priming sugar was not enough to completely carbonate this recipe when using a total of 16 ounces of flavoring. 5 ounces of priming sugar was fine when only using 4 ounces of each flavoring. But for my tastes, this was just a little under carbed only using the 5 ounces. For the next batch I'm going to use the full 16 ounces of flavoring, but also use a minimum of 7.5 ounces of priming sugar.

This recipe came out with a strong and in your face peanut butter cup flavor. So much so I almost chewed my beer. But it finished like a fine mellow stout with a good strong malty backbone and a nice touch of the Goldings. Overall the finish was clean and slightly dry with very little aftertaste. In the first batch I used only 4 ounces of each of the flavorings and it was good. But I found that I wanted MORE so I doubled the amount of flavoring. So unless you want a strong candy flavor, I would start out on the lite side with only 4 ounces.

A good thick mouth feel but not so thick as to feel like a milkshake coating your mouth.

Whip, Has anyone tweaked this recipe or would there be anything you would change or add.

Yeah. I'll be making this soon. I can find the beer about 40 miles from my house, but mine will be better. [emoji482]
IMG_20190501_130701.jpg

Bitter with magnum? 1lb of roasted barley? 90 min mash and boil? Whirfloc? Why? Here is my choco peanut butter porter and it is dynamite. I use all natural chocolate flavors (3 to be exact) and 4oz of brewers best pb. Not worth it dealing with powder or all the fat that comes with peanuts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190508-163810.jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-163810.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_20190508-163826.jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-163826.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back