Peanut Butter/Choco Porter Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinkerCapt13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here. I've been a homebrewers and frequent visitor of this forum for 6 years. I always appreciate the advice given and hope that I can offer help to those in the near future.

I've been asked to out together and brew a peanut butter butter. I've spent quite a bit of time researching recipes, flavorings, additions, etc. and below is where I'm at with a recipe. Any advice as to anything that stands out that might need to scale back or change?

I use Jamil's basic robust porter recipe, however I sub out the black patent for Carafa III based on taste preference.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Original Gravity : 1.066
Final Gravity : 1.016
IBU: 35
SRM: 41

Fermentables (13 lb 4.1 oz)
9 lb 8 oz - Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
1 lb 4 oz - Munich Malt, Germany
1 lb - Caramel Malt 40L
12 oz - Chocolate 350 °L
8.1 oz - Carafa III 388.1 °L
4 oz - Milk Sugar (Lactose) (15 minutes)
60 min - 1.1 oz - Cascade
15 min - 1 oz - Fuggles
0 min - 0.68 oz - East Kent Goldings
2 pkg - Fermentis Safale American US-05

Secondary - 2 oz - Cacao Nibs

18 ml - Silver Cloud (Apex) Peanut Butter Extract added to keg

I used to add small additions of hops later in my stouts and porters but have since completed omitted doing that. I think it’d add little to no value in the beer your contemplating (purely preference though).

The recipe looks good on paper and I’m a fan of subbing in carafa III/dehusked dark roasted grains to soften and smooth out the roasted notes.

I can’t speak to the coco nibs or PB extract, never used them.

Latest posts

Back