Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Walrus

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.....

- I melted down some Swedish Berry
candies into red syrup.

- Boiled it in a gallon of water.

- Added sugar and acid blend

- Added a cup of green tea

And so far, it seems to be fermenting!

Check out my photos!

Swedish_Berries_1.jpg

Swedish_Berries_2.jpg

Swedish_Berries_3.jpg

Swedish_Berries_4.jpg

The Swedish berries contain sugar, glucose syrup, corn sugar, flavors and artificial color.
I'm skeptical this combination is going to produce a decent flavor, but everyone's tastes are different, so maybe you'll like it.
I've experimented with cheap juice and sugar additions and for me the flavor is really repulsive. Good quality honey, real fruit, or juice from actual wine grapes make better fermented beverages than using processed sugar.

I gotta agree with madscientist. For all intents and purposes you are simply fermenting corn and beet sugars. Prison wine is not known to win many prizes outside of the cell walls. If you are looking for a buzz I am sure that this will provide one but if you are looking to make an enjoyable wine... this may not be the best way to go.

I agree with both of you, I don't think it's going to be the greatest wine ever made lol .... it's really just an experiment, to see what it turns out like.

But here's a suggestion. If you can get some basic wildflower or clover honey (nothing incredibly expensive) you might also experiment with the way those flavorings might play with the honey. There's a fellow (Michael Jackson, I think his name is) over on Youtube who has made some (questionable, IMO) videos about mead making and he has several meads for which he used various candies as the added flavorings. Just a thought - You MIGHT get more bang for your buck going that route...

Back