SWBO now says cook turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyusmc

Reaction score
I bought a turkey fryer last year to brew beer almost a year ago, now SWBO says i must fry a turkey tomorrow, in my my 7.5 gallon pot,that i use for full boils. I say okay now time to find a proper 8 or 10 gallon pot :D

My turkey fryer came from my MIL&FIL's garage. They only used it once or twice. I've had it for about two years and done about twenty batches of beer with it, but have actually fried on turkey in it within the last year; also made a sh*tload of potato chips in it from scratch which were f'ing :rockin:

Upgraded to a 10 gallon pot a month ago, the fryer came with a 7.5 gallon pot. My MIL is sick right now so I offered to fry a turkey using it (with the 7.5G pot, which I don't use for brewing that much anymore). I wonder if I can do the frying and handoff the cleanup effort to someone else.

I was doing an in-service with docs at SHANDS (University of Florida's trauma center) the week after Thanksgiving year before last. A man was there who had a turkey frying accident. He tipped the pot over and tried to catch it....it was very bad. He was burned from the waist up. I'm guessing he eventually died.

I'll never fry a Turkey after seeing that. <shudder>

Getting ready to put our turkey in the brine in preparation for it's big boiling oil bath tomorrow. I will never cook a turkey in anything but oil.

Here's all you need to know. PT 1 of 3

Which would be really ironic if you got your start in brewing because of Alton Brown as well!

Just don't use your cooler/mastun to brine it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
yuck brine in mash tun, like i think you said before revy homer depot bucket works for that job. now whats the cost of 8 or 10 gallon pot?

+1 to Revvy's suggestion

I have been using AB's brine recipie for a few years it's great. It has a 5 out of 5 w/ 2500 reviews on FN web site.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say that you would never try to catch a pot of boiling oil after seeing that?

Sure...but logic has nothing to do with it. Every-time I bite into that crispy turkey leg there will be this image in my mind that just isn't very appetizing!

Here's all you need to know. PT 1 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU

Which would be really ironic if you got your start in brewing because of Alton Brown as well!

Just don't use your cooler/mastun to brine it in.

I have that burner he suggests... LOVE IT!!! (course, maybe santa will bring me a banjo burner this year... *starts holding breath*) (On a similar yet completely unrelated note I have 2 propane tanks and no gas bbq... my friends love ribs from my treager and steaks from my old charcoal BBQ but still ask why I don't get a gas grill... *sigh* Ya win some, and ya lose some. Maybe some day they will learn...)

Latest posts

Back