Need more heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritchie63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my turkey fryer will heat 8 gallons to boiling with the pot covered, but will not maintain a rolling boil uncovered. I have no idea what the BTU s are. Would a different regulator hose(0-30psi) boost my BTUs enough or do I just need to spring for a new burner(200,000btu)? Thanks.

Can you post a picture showing the element inside the burner? There are standard elements that are familiar to homebrewers so their maximum performance is known...

Cheers!

Does it have a flow limiting safety regulator? If so, you might want to try a higher volume regulator with adjustable valve. The kind that are sold to adapt regular 20# grill tanks to high volume rigs like Cajun cookers work well.

Even more so than a regular grill regualtor, these are not recommended for inside use.

fwiw, I do 14 gallon boils using roughly 2/3rds the output capacity of my 70K btu BG14 propane burners.
If I didn't mind some extra time a BG12 or even BG10 would work - though they aren't anywhere near as quiet...

Cheers!

So, my turkey fryer will heat 8 gallons to boiling with the pot covered, but will not maintain a rolling boil uncovered. I have no idea what the BTU s are. Would a different regulator hose(0-30psi) boost my BTUs enough or do I just need to spring for a new burner(200,000btu)? Thanks.
You don't need to maintain a rolling boil. It doesn't take more than a simmer to boil off SMM and you can use a little less water for sparging if you have more water to boil off than a simmer would do. You can also cover most of the opening with the lid to maintain a boil if you find that necessary.

Back