Surly Furious Extract Kit // Pitched Yeast too Hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurorajp

Reaction score
So I was brewing my 4th batch today, went with NB's Pro Series Surly Furious Extract Kit.

It was a rough day, I turned away for about 10 seconds after adding the DME at 45 minutes and got a small boil over. My wort chiller came detached from the hose, untightened clamp, right as I started cooling my wort, and my son, 19 months, woke up from his nap right as I was adding some water to the primary to get the temp down.

In my haste to get finished I stopped paying attention to the temp and pitched the yeast when it was probably at about 90 degrees. I got the temp down below 80 within about 30 minutes, and about 4 hours later I started to see a little bubbling. Do you think this will ruin the batch or provide any off or bad results in any way?

Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't think you've killed any yeast, even if you did, not too many. You may get some off flavors, maybe not. You brought it down quickly to decent temperatures so you'll be OK. Just try to get it in the low 70s next time. I'm sure the beer will be fine.

I'm sure it will be fine. The yeast should actually like the 90 degrees. Since you cooled it quickly I would say the chance of off flavors is low.

As theveganbrewer stated, try to keep the temperature in the low 70's - mid sixties would be even better. At least aim for the low end of the published temperature for the yeast you are using.

Should be fine, provided you got your ferm temps down quickly and keep them there.

I normally pitch at relatively high temps, because my "cooling" water is about 80F here, and then get it down to more appropriate ferm temps quickly. Only problems I have had is when I did not get down to cooler ferm temps quickly enough....it's late...it'll be fine over night...ooopps!

Thanks for all the feedback, now I'm just trying to get the temp down to the low 70's - upper 60's. A little tough this time of year when you don't have a basement or a lot of space. Wet towel around the primary right now in my crawlspace, hopefully that will do the trick.

Well, fermentation went gangbusters in the first 24 hours. I had the temp down into the 75-77 range the first night, I was hoping it would have been a little lower, but not quite cool enough in the house. I moved it to a different room and added a wet towel that brought it down into the low 70's at about 18 hours. At about 24 hours added a fan to it and was at about 68 and have maintained there since then.

It's now been about 44 hours and fermentation has greatly slowed. Here's to hoping I don't get any off flavors.

Back