Super Moss HB, really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
I'm dissapointed with this stuff :( Picked some up and used on last two batches and my beer going to fermentor is nowhere clear as it was with Whirfloc. On my first try I soaked 1/4 teaspoon in 1/4 cup of water, I did not shake it and added last 10 min in boil. Almost no break material formed and murky wort. Second batch I disolved in cooled wort as per instructions and shake the living hell out of it, added to kettle, little better but still a far cry from results I was getting with Whirfloc. Seem like everybody swears by it. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

IIRC, you are supposed to bloom it first then add it prior to knock out.

It works WHILE the chiller is running.

Maybe Whirlfloc works better. Never used it. I get good results from SuperMossHB.

IIRC, you are supposed to bloom it first then add it prior to knock out.

It works WHILE the chiller is running.

Maybe Whirlfloc works better. Never used it. I get good results from SuperMossHB.

so you add it at flame out? It says last 10 min in boil and I did bloom it for 10-15 min in cooled wort.

I don't recall exactly been a while since I brewed a beer where I cared that it was clear. I always followed the label precisely.

Jwood said:
why did you stop using Whirlfloc? It works great, was it not working for you?

Whirlfloc worked wonderful for me, I just run out of it and been reading here how much better the supermoss hb is. So I decided to give it a try, but after 2 batches I'm not convienced at all. I might just pick up some tried and true whirlfloc and leave $11 super-duper moss hb for emergencies

Sent from GT-I9100M

Back