Super confused!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rycov said:
i cold crash in primary. lets see a picture of you're guy's beer. not you're buckets. i want to see how clear the beer is. not what gets left behind. :D

My chili beer. I know, I'm not proud of the poor head retention. I've since corrected.

image-374699657.jpg

I always have a batch or 2 of apfelwein or skeeter pee in my glass carboys. If anybody doesn't know what to do with theirs they could always send them to me! I'm sure I can put them to use!

the apfelwein/ skeeter pee are easy ones. especially apfelwein. dump juice and yeast in... done. wait for a while and carb. i'm actually doin that now (in 1 gal jugs)

@ chandler. i like the sig! BEER IS GOOD! BEER IS GOOD! BEER IS GOOD!... AND STUFF...

have you heard ABCDEATH?... TIME TO PUT ON YOUR THINKING CAPS MOTHER ****ERS!!:rockin:

@ chandler. i like the sig! BEER IS GOOD! BEER IS GOOD! BEER IS GOOD!... AND STUFF...

have you heard ABCDEATH?... TIME TO PUT ON YOUR THINKING CAPS MOTHER ****ERS!!:rockin:

lol. I have. ...and you know what equals love? Probably not appropriate, but I got tired of using all of the common beer quotes - I haven't seen anyone use this one yet.

The point I was making is that I found myself disturbing the yeast cake with my autosiphon on my first batches. The secondary/carboy allows for a person to see what they are doing. Makes for an error buffer. There seems to me, there is a less of a chance to disturb the yeasties/trub in a secondary. Everyone does things a bit differently. I've personally never had issues with oxygenation or infection of my beer in a secondary. And, found my wife and her friends enjoy the beer I secondary. Brew buddies and my friends often don't care.

Technique more than the vessels and equiptment often determine your outcomes. That said you are right, you can get very clear/clean beer with just a primary. I was just offering a my perceptions and experiences. Cheers

ChandlerBrewery said:
lol. I have. ...and you know what equals love? Probably not appropriate, but I got tired of using all of the common beer quotes - I haven't seen anyone use this one yet.

Have you heard beer part 2 on sandwich?

I do all my fermenting in glass carboys (I have 6 of various sizes). I just let my beers sit for 4-5 weeks or so and then bottle/keg.

ETA: I have a recipe that requires the addition of oak chips to a secondary so that may be an exception.

I was a brewer way back, switched to wine and now I'm doing both. In the wine world headspace is very bad, everything gets topped off to within an inch or so of the bung.

I've carried that over to brewing, doing all my primaries in carboys with blowoff tubes, I even rouse the yeast daily until I reach FG. I usually rack to a brite tank (carboy), top off with CO2, let the yeast do their clean up thing (there is plenty of yeast in the racked beer to condition). Now I can fine if I want, oak if I want, lager if I need to, dry hop, etc. and I have very little headspace over the beer.

You will find a use for the carboy even if you choose to do all or most of your ferments in a bucket.

So can I primary in my carboy then???

yes, as long as you take the krausen into account by brewing smaller batches and/or using a blowoff tube.
I use a 5 gallon glass carboy as a secondary, but mainly just because I only have 1-6.5 gallon carboy, so I can have one beer finishing and clearing and one just starting without having to use a blowoff or do smaller batches.

When I went to pick up my first kit I was confused why I needed a secondary. I had read up and I was soooo Confused why I had to buy one (which was being pushed on me pretty hard) along with a plastic 5 gallon bucket for 20 dollars(have thrown tons out in the past). The sell was very convening. So convincing I went out side and googled secondary to make sure I wasn't crazy. I bought did not buy the bucket or the carboy. Got a 5.5 gallon sour kraut bucket from a jason's deli and secondary. Saved me at least 40$.

Back