Very Slow Fermentation With Mangrove Jack's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Reaction score
I've used Mangrove Jack's yeast four times. Three of these had very slow fermentations (long time to reach stable gravity) – 29, 40, and over 57 days (The last is still fermenting now). They all took off ok and seemed to be doing well, but just kept fermenting longer than expected. No compaints about the beer quality. I've never experienced this with any other yeast. All of these were done with my usual procedure. I started a thread after the first batch - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fermentation-slow-to-finish.663219/ - at that time it didn't seem to be specific to a particular yeast company, so I started this thread as a different approach.

Extract batch – 8 lbs malt extract
Styles: Marzen, Baltic Porter (lower than normal OG), Belgian Pale Ale
About 5 gallons to fermenter with OG about 1.054
FG: 1.0129, 1.0157, and <1.0061 (still dropping)
Yeast: Mangrove Jack's M54 California Lager, M54, and M47 Belgian Abbey
Yeast was rehydrated at about 80F in boiled and cooled tap water
Used bottling hydrometer with 0.0005 graduations - can easily read to nearest 0.00025
Pitching temp 65F
Active fermentation temp - 67F (four days) for M57 – 70 for M47
Fermentation temp after active – 70F for M57, 74 for M47
Checked hydrometer calibration - good
Gravity numbers are corrected for temperature

(Some of the above numbers vary just a little – I averaged to avoid having a super long post.)

There were several batches with other yeast in between – none of these had slow fermentations.

I emailed Mangrove Jack's after the first problem batch using M57. To skip to the bottom line, the answer was “Our tech team have advised that this is a hybrid strain that is classed as a lager strain regardless of temperature, and the aim is a clean fermentation profile. Therefore, the pitching rate also needs to ensure that the yeast are under the least amount of stress possible. As a result, the lager pitching rate is applied rather than the ale.” This really seems to address the lager profile rather than slow fermentation. And the latest batch used ale yeast. So now I'm wondering if they have a contamination problem - maybe some diastaticus yeast. From what I've read, I believe they repackage yeast from other manufacturers.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or thoughts about this?

I’ve used dry yeast almost exclusively, and MJ several times, for the past few years. My local source does not set liquid and I’ve been the brunt of DOA mail order liquid yeast one too many times. What I’ve noticed is 1 gram per liter seems to give me the best results. I used to pitch only one pack in 5 gal which is a drastic under pitch IMO. Given an under pitch condition, yeast stress can include slow start, off smells during fermentation, slow finish, and potential off flavors.

However, even when under pitching, I’ve not had a MJ fermented beer take as long as yours to finish. Longest I’ve had was 19 daze — which was stupid.

Some say MJ repacks expired yeast from other sources. I don’t know about that but if they do I would expect poor performance.

Incidentally, I’ve had great success with dry yeast. I cool my wort, drain 50% into the fermenter, pitch 1g gram per liter of full ferment volume, wait ~15 min, then fill the fermenter the rest of the way. Fast starts, no sulfur or other weird smells during ferment, fast finish to full attenuation, no esters, and great beer. Never fails.

Some say MJ repacks expired yeast from other sources. I don’t know about that but if they do I would expect poor performance.

I've never hear that before, but it could explain the slow finish. Pitching rate is also interesting. I'll have to check on this - maybe experiment on a few batches. Thanks.

I had have had mixed results with MJ-54. Most were slow starters but they always took off after a couple extra lag days. The last 2 times I brewed with it however, I had much worse problems. I was singing it's praises the first time I brewed with it but the 3rd and 4th brews that I used it will most likely be the second-to-last and last times that I use it.

What kind of problems - slow to finish?
A terrible off flavor, one that I haven't been able to describe. The attempted beers were proven recipes and methods with only the yeast as a variable.
I'm not claiming that everything else was perfect but I never have had flavor like that before these 2 beers and never since. I tried to drink the first, tried to age it for a few months too. If anything it only got worse with time and they are the only beers I have dumped.

I can see why you're not a fan. At this point, I don't plan to use any more Mangrove Jack's yeast either.

I'm not sure what's happening in your situation but I've use M-41 three or four times (2 packs per 5 gallons) and it's all good.
I am now a little nervous since I never primary longer than 3 weeks.

I even read here, 3 dry packs. I thought, What the heck, and pitched 3 T-58s into my current Tripel that is half way to bottling. Hopefully not too much.

T-58 is not a Mangrove Jack yeast afaik. Seems from a quick look at Brewer's Friend, that 2 packs would have been enough. Three is not going to harm anything, unless you package it before it flocculates.

Latest posts

Back