Sunday Morning Setlist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was listening to Jimmy Smith- Midnight Special.

How the hell did I miss that Buckwheat had passed? Switching to Buckwheat's Zydeco Party (1987), an outstanding compilation....
News makes me feel kagoo (cajun slang for sick)

Then maybe some Brave Combo to continue with the squeezebox theme...

I've got a pot of chili started on the stove, it's a cool and wet early fall morning, so Texas blues are what's for breakfast.

Chris Duarte - Texas Sugar Strat Magik (1994)

I'll likely do a couple more of his albums, and then toss in SRV - In Step.

Bought the new Bob Weir album this week (Blue Mountain) and really like the Americana feel. It is in rotation with his first solo album, Ace (1972) and the new Drive-by Truckers, American Band.

Thumbs up on the Chris Duarte, an amazing guitar player! Saw him a lot when I was in college, plays a killer version of Coltrane's Giant Steps.

Early morning, early R.E.M. I especially like the 25th anniversary reissues with the live sets from that time period..."A perfect circle of acquaintances and friends."

Murmur (1983)
Reckoning (1984)

Back to the blues for me.

Popa Chubby - Booty and the Beast (1995)

followed by

Samantha Fish - Runaway (2011)

Feeling like a psychobilly kind of morning. And it is close to Halloween, so...

Nekromantix - Life is a Grave, and I Dig It! (2007)
HorrorPops - Kiss Kiss Kill Kill (2008)
Koffin Kats - Straying From the Pack (2006)

I'm starting with the new Norah Jones album, Day Breaks.

Once the coffee turns to alcohol in a few hours, I'll be heading towards April Wine - Harder, Faster (1979) and Triumph - Allied Foraces (1981)

Coffee, carbonated water and Claritin for the ragweed allergies. End of October, temperatures still in the mid to high 80's, making life miserable.

Early morning:
Hiss Golden Messenger
Haw (2013)
Lateness of Dancers (2014)
Heart Like a Levee (2016)

Afternoon:
The Long Ryders - Final Wild Songs (2016)

I just woke up, later than I've slept in a long time. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm not real with it just yet, so will just put on some random old ones I've not listened to in a while.

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily (1995)
Chris Isaak - Baja Sessions (1996)
Eight to the Bar - Behind the Eight Ball (1998)

Retro Soul Revue on tap for this overcast morning, along with making a minestrone soup and a green chili stew

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Emma Jean (2014) and My Night (2016)
St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Sea of Noise (2016)
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - Give the People What They Want (2014)
Charles Bradley - Changes (2016)

That's seriously messed up. I'm making French onion soup and sausage and tortellini soup today. I guess soup is in the air.

I'm listening to The Asylum Street Spankers - Mercurial (2004)

Next up is Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (2002), Dio - Holy Diver (1983), and Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (2011)

Yard work today, just like yesterday....tired and sore

Morning:
Kathleen Edwards - Failer (2003)
Neko Case - Fox Confessor (2006)
Tift Merritt - Travelling Alone (2012)
Julia Jacklin - Don't Let the Kids Win (2016)

Afternoon:
The Grateful Dead - 30 Days of Dead 2014
The Grateful Dead - 30 Days of Dead 2015

I, too, have a lot to do, and am feeling like it's a blues kind of day, but I'm going to pull out some odd ones first.

Starting with Steven Seagal - Mojo Priest (2006).

Then going with Willie Nelson - Milk Cow Blues (2000).

Not sure where I'll go after that, but I'm thinking a mental trip to NYC might be in order, so maybe some Popa Chubby and then some Slam Allen.

Damn, we lost another great player today...Came in for a water break and saw that Leon Russell passed away. So, switching the playlist to include Leon Russell and the Shelter People, The Best of Leon Russell and Hank Wilson's Back...

Debut albums today....

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956)
The Doors - The Doors (1967)
Television - Marquee Moon (1977)
Pretenders - Pretenders (1980)
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression (1990)
Norah Jones- Come Away With Me (2002)
Margo Price - Midwest Farmers Daughter (2016)

@Littletimmy Great choices! One of your choices prompted me to make my first selection today:

I'm starting with Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey (1971)

Then will move on to a couple others of his:
Moondance (1970)
Inarticulate Speech of the Heart (1981)
Back On Top (1999)

I've spent close to 20 hours, with the wife, in the car, travelling for Thanksgiving. We've always treated our marriage as a partnership/team...Now that we are back home safe, I've got the following lined up for this morning:

Tracy Grammer & Dave Carter - Drum Hat Buddha (2001)
Porter Waggoner & Dolly Parton - The Essential...(1996)
Linda & Richard Thompson - Shoot out the Lights (1982)
Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison - Our Year (2014)
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk (2009)

Nice theme usage there.

Currently listening to Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining (1990)

Next up is Stan Getz and Luiz Bonfa - Jazz Samba Encore! (1986)

Not sure where I'll go from there.

Nice. I just heard Forgotten Years. Follow that up with Diesel and Dust.

I've gotten into Advanced Base lately, though maybe it's from my new hobby of playing/recording with vintage Casio keyboards.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nHcysS-MGA[/ame]

Early morning coffee...

Old & In The Way - Live at the Boarding House (2008)
The complete recordings from 10/1 & 10/8 1973, 3 1/2 hours of progressive bluegrass heaven

Afternoon beer...
The Allman Brothers - The Fillmore Concerts (1992)
Jimi Hendrix - Live at the Fillmore East (1999)
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks Vol. 4: Fillmore East (1996)

I wanted some Norah Jones, but I've listened to her stuff so much, I should probably listen to something else. So I'm cheating. I'll get my Norah fix by listening to her side project. Starting with The Little Willies (2006), and then will do their second one, For the Good Times (2012).

This afternoon should bring some Christmas-themed music, though I have no idea what I'll start with, since I'm not really feeling it yet.

Jazz guitar morning....

Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of (1960)
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (1963)
George Benson - Beyond the Blue Horizon (1971)
Joe Pass - Virtuoso (1973)

Going with some extremely talented ladies this morning.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)
Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (2011)
Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale (2012)
Gin Wigmore - Holy Smoke (2009)

This morning's theme is Christmas.

My daughter and I went to the annual August Burns Red Christmas show last night. (I wasn't the oldest guy there, but close.) So I'll start this morning off with theirs.

August Burns Red - Sleddin' Hill (2012)
Royal Crown Revue - Don't Be a Grinch This Year (2010)
The Vandals - Oi to the World! (1996)
Reverend Horton Heat - We Three Kings (2005) (Saw them last Sunday)
Jimmy Buffett - Christmas Island (1996) (Because I haven't gotten around to buying his new one, reviews are iffy)

Not QUITE in the Christmas spirit after the past 10 hours!! Lost power at the house at 3 am. Big cold front moved through N. Texas last night, bringing 40+ mph winds. Toasty 14 degrees this am, with a wind chill of zero. Every smoke detector going off, driving the wife and cats crazy...Then a call from school security (thank GOD) that the contractors are going to cut power to the entire school campus today to install new switch gear for the HVAC system. That includes our greenhouses with several thousand$$ of plants!!
45 minute drive to school, and then 90 minutes and 4 phone calls, including a Deputy Superintendent of the school district, to make sure that that greenhouse is going to be isolated with power and heat during the transition....Drive home...Power still off until about 30 minutes ago, the wife and I are having a Founders Breakfast Stout and a shot of Bushmills!!

So....the LATE setlist for today includes:

Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne (1993) to prime the pump
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour (1974) to crank it up
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992) to rage
Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) to mellow out

Your selections are spot on for your ****ty day.

The Guaraldi album almost made my list today, also.

Thanks friend...I appreciate your music choices, just added the August Burns Red and Royal Crown Revue to my Amazon Stream to check out. Now on the second FBS, after a 3rd shot of Bushmills...getting loud in my greenhouse at home (added Rory Gallagher Calling Card to the setlist) as I try to fix a cranky heater...Glad I have 2 weeks off from teaching teenagers to cool my jets...

You'll likely enjoy RCR. It's hard not to.

ABR, on the other hand, maybe not. ;) The Christmas album is tame, however.

I admire your ability to tolerate teenagers. I could never deal with a room full of them 180 days a year.

FWIW, whisky fixes most problems. Those that it can't fix, it caused in the first place.

Merry Christmas to all!! I hope that you have a joyous, peaceful and homebrew day. Ima, I grooved on the Royal Crown Review, excellent suggestion added to the database..

Our family tradition is jazz Christmas albums while the cooking and then an early afternoon meal. Several classics on tap for 2016, including:

Wishing You a Swinging Christmas - Ella Fitzgerald
Sound of Christmas - Ramsey Lewis
Christmas Songs - Diana Krall
Christmas Cookin' - Jimmy Smith
A Dave Brubeck Christmas - Dave Brubeck

Back