Summer's Morning Mist Lager Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
Hey:

Came up with this recipe and looking for some input with focus on the types of hops to throw in. this will be a Partial Mash and extract recipe

I want this batch to be about (35 Liters ) 8 Gallons Here is what I have so far

2 Kg of Vienna Malt
2 Kg of Munic Malt
1 Kg of Honey Malt
1 Can Morgan's Master Blend Lager
7 Cups Dextrose
Nottingham's yeast

HOPS? ?????????????? Suggestions will be appreciated

I want the OG to be at 1050 IBU to be low - med

I want this to age in the carboys roughly 6 weeks then condition for about 4 weeks

This is my first partial extract and Grain!!!!!

Where are you getting the alpha/beta amylase from? I think you'll need some 2 or 6 row in there. As far as hops goes, what flavor do you want? What kind of yeast are you going to pitch?

aseelye said:
Where are you getting the alpha/beta amylase from? I think you'll need some 2 or 6 row in there. As far as hops goes, what flavor do you want? What kind of yeast are you going to pitch?

Vienna is usually high in dp.

Anyways, hops I wouldn't worry too much and just do a clean bittering addition (maybe Magnum or something) just to balance the malt. I would personally skip the flavor and aromas. If you want some aroma hops maybe Hallertau, Willamette, Fuggles? (I mean one of, not each)

http://howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html says that vienna has enough diastatic power for itself, but nothing else. I'd guess between the munich and vienna converting themselves, the honey malt (needs to be mash according to beersmith) needs to be converted. Throwing even a pound or so of 2/6row would probably be wise, I'd do it for peace of mind if nothing else.

As far as my yeast question goes, I didn't read the OP close enough, he specified nottingham yeast. This is unquestionably an ale yeast, and if a lager is what's truly desired, a change will need to be made there.

As for the hops, that's a pretty malty grain bill, I'd throw in some "C" hops for a bit of taste and aroma to compliment the grains.

aseelye said:
http://howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html says that vienna has enough diastatic power for itself, but nothing else. I'd guess between the munich and vienna converting themselves, the honey malt (needs to be mash according to beersmith) needs to be converted. Throwing even a pound or so of 2/6row would probably be wise, I'd do it for peace of mind if nothing else.

As far as my yeast question goes, I didn't read the OP close enough, he specified nottingham yeast. This is unquestionably an ale yeast, and if a lager is what's truly desired, a change will need to be made there.

As for the hops, that's a pretty malty grain bill, I'd throw in some "C" hops for a bit of taste and aroma to compliment the grains.

IS there a lager yeast that you would recommend?

Honey malt is coming out I will change the recipe

3 Kg of Vienna Malt
2 Kg of Munic Malt
1 Kg of Pilsner Malt
7 Cups Dextrose

Yeast: Suggestions?

Fwiw, sometimes things aren't textbook. I learned this the hard way and tend to look over my malts now and get an idea of what the dp is. Many Pilsner malts are cited at around 120° Lintner (some lower) and Pilsner is a base malt. I had some Munich that was rated at 30 °Lintner. Looking back through my recipe the only saving grace was the Vienna which was cited at 120 °Lintner.

aseelye said:

You'll be just fine. The vienna and the Munich will bring enough enzymes to the party. No need to add Pilsner.

Only dark Munich is so low in enzymes that it will have a hard time converting anything but itself.

Kai

ok then I will axe the pilsner and if the recipe looks something like

3 Kg of Vienna Malt
3 Kg of Munic Malt
7 Cups Dextrose
2 o/z Fuggles hops
2 o/z C hops

I am roughly getting around 60-70 IBU's for that...off the cuff. I would suggest looking into dropping the amount of Colombus to 1 oz. if you want it to lean balanced to malty. Actually depending on the precise AAU of the Colombus 1 oz. seems high. A rough estimate is like mid 30's to 40's, which will probably be fairly bitter for this case.

Actually the Recipe is TOTALLY WRONG!

.......and have made some adjustments to it

I want Light Crisp, Clean.

So I am gonna go with a Pilsner Style

This will be an All Grain Batch the Morgans Master Blends are no longer available

for the 8 Gallon Batch

6.5Kg of Weyermann Pilsner Malt
1.5 Kg of Vienna
0.5 Kg Red Cara malt
7 Cups Dextrose
1.5 oz Hallertau
Pilsner Lager yeast (White Labs)

Does anyone think that I could use more grains for this type of a batch?

lol, what the heck. :D :confused:

Your IBU will probably be low (possibly too low). Hallertau is around 4-5 AAU iirc. And with that gravity you'll have lower utilization.

zoebisch01 said:
lol, what the heck. :D :confused:

Your IBU will probably be low (possibly too low). Hallertau is around 4-5 AAU iirc. And with that gravity you'll have lower utilization.

hey this is my first recipe plan and it is an all grain to boot. As you can tell I am flying by the seat of my pants here. would you put in more hops? maybe another hops or two to this?

enlighten me :D

Back