Summer Sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Stuffed 22 lbs of venison jalapeño cheddar summer sausage this afternoon. Will smoke/cook it all day tomorrow.
While it’s smoking, I might grind and stuff 25 lbs of fresh pork German (garlic) sausage… we’ll see how ambitious I feel.
3338F84A-34C8-4715-AC7B-60F647F3120C.jpeg

You just made that! It takes less than a week to be ready?
Ground, seasoned and stuffed on Saturday. Started smoking it Sunday morning then gradually increased the temperature and continued the cooking to internal temp of 155° for the rest of the day. Chilled in ice bath and hung to bloom on Monday.
Only takes a few days.

Ground, seasoned and stuffed on Saturday. Started smoking it Sunday morning then gradually increased the temperature and continued the cooking to internal temp of 155° for the rest of the day. Chilled in ice bath and hung to bloom on Monday.
Only takes a few days.

Understood. I was thinking of it as a type of 'salami'; cured by drying and ageing.

Stuffed 22 lbs of venison jalapeño cheddar summer sausage this afternoon. Will smoke/cook it all day tomorrow.
While it’s smoking, I might grind and stuff 25 lbs of fresh pork German (garlic) sausage… we’ll see how ambitious I feel.
View attachment 807544
Looks real tasty!

For someone who has only made bulk sausage (ground pork with seasonings then packaged up) is there a book or website you'd recommend for other sausage making?

Thanks!

I used to use those same casings, a couple years ago I switched to clothe casings. They allow the smoke flavor to penetrate into the meat better. Fantastic looking sausage though, I'll be mixing mine up in the next week or 2.

Looks real tasty!

For someone who has only made bulk sausage (ground pork with seasonings then packaged up) is there a book or website you'd recommend for other sausage making?

Thanks!
I’m sure there are a multitude of books available. I originally read the first edition of this book . Also, www.sausagemaker.com and www.psseasonings.com each have some good guides and videos. YouTube is also a great place to watch videos. I’m not too impressed with certain seasoning mixes from sausagemaker though.

I’m sure there are a multitude of books available. I originally read the first edition of this book . Also, www.sausagemaker.com and www.psseasonings.com each have some good guides and videos. YouTube is also a great place to watch videos. I’m not too impressed with certain seasoning mixes from sausagemaker though.
Thank you for the suggestions! My first attempt at Italian sausage I tried a pre-packaged mix. It wasn't stellar but just like beginning to brew it taught me some things about sausage making. My last few batches now I'm using my own mix for sweet Italian sausage. My wife loves it too.

I'm pouring through this site and some internet search, but I'll dig into your suggestions. Again Thanks!

Latest posts

Back