Fresh pork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatguy100

Reaction score
I won't have everything to start my first batch of cider till Thursday, So with today being a nice day I decided to make some fresh pork .

This little piggy was about 230 lbs , I got him , killed , gutted , skinned and split in half today .
I haven't fully made up my mind yet but I think I'm going to do 1 ham , bacon's , 1 smoked loin , and the other into fresh chops .
And the rest into sausage .
I'll decide on the types of sausage once I see how much I have .
But will most likely go with , hot Italian for links , a Jimmy Dean style breakfast sausage . And some ground but unseasoned bulk to be able to season as I please when I cook it .

Here he is , midway threw splitting .... My arm got tired sawing :)
IMG_20200114_161032.jpg

Got both halves broke down today , the ham ,loin and bacons are in brine . And I got everything else de-boned ready for some sausage making tomarow .

I think I have pretty close to 60 lbs of sausage meat .
I think I am going to do 20 lbs each of hot Italian links , breakfast sausage And unseasoned bulk sausage to season up however my mood moves me when I cook it .

Got both halves broke down today , the ham ,loin and bacons are in brine . And I got everything else de-boned ready for some sausage making tomarow .

I think I have pretty close to 60 lbs of sausage meat .
I think I am going to do 20 lbs each of hot Italian links , breakfast sausage And unseasoned bulk sausage to season up however my mood moves me when I cook it .

Looks great! Keep us posted on the progress!

Except for getting the bandsaw dirty to slice up the ham , bacon and smoked chops .. which will wait till a day warm enough to play with water .
It's all finished up , every thi ng came out of the smoker Sunday evening
And scrapple got made today , one of my fav breakfast foods

Back