Homemade sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ground 46 lbs of pork butts. Made 25 lbs of German (garlic) sausage and 21 lbs of fresh pork breakfast sausage.
With a HB pale ale.
6AF2A93A-1455-4427-8E3C-C6AE23EFBBCF.jpeg

I take my hat off to you! I only do small, 5 lb, batches myself. I need to grind some fatback this week. Oh and there's that pig's head that needs smoking.

very nice. my ferm chamber spends most of it's time as a curing chamber these days.

need to find another score on some big pig chunks again.

Unfortunately, the pig's heads I get are skinned and have many of the best bits -- ears and snout -- removed. But there's a great recipe specifically for smoked skinned pig's head on Hunter, Gatherer, Cook. (Dang it, still didn't get that fatback ground.)

Ground 46 lbs of pork butts. Made 25 lbs of German (garlic) sausage and 21 lbs of fresh pork breakfast sausage.
With a HB pale ale.
View attachment 808171
We got a grinder recently and made our first batch of breakfast sausage, only a small batch around 5 lbs as we’re only making it for the 2 of us. For our first try it was ok, but could be better. Part of our problem I think was the wife insisted on using pork tenderloin which has very little fat.

Breakfast sausage has gotten pretty expensive so I think it does pay to make your own.

I’d love to see some recipes, especially for spices. There are a bunch all over the internet. We’re in PA, grew up with Habersett sausage if anyone is familiar. Thats gotten harder to find, I think only Acme has it now and it comes precooked. We get Jimmy Dean now most of the time.

I keep hearing don’t use fennel in breakfast sausage but I think some of them do use it.

We got a grinder recently and made our first batch of breakfast sausage, only a small batch around 5 lbs as we’re only making it for the 2 of us. For our first try it was ok, but could be better. Part of our problem I think was the wife insisted on using pork tenderloin which has very little fat.

Breakfast sausage has gotten pretty expensive so I think it does pay to make your own.

I’d love to see some recipes, especially for spices. There are a bunch all over the internet. We’re in PA, grew up with Habersett sausage if anyone is familiar. Thats gotten harder to find, I think only Acme has it now and it comes precooked. We get Jimmy Dean now most of the time.

I keep hearing don’t use fennel in breakfast sausage but I think some of them do use it.

PS Seasonings has some very good premixed seasonings. They are geared towards 25 lb batches, but just weigh desired amount for smaller batches and save the extra for another day.
Definitely want to use butts or add additional fat to leaner cuts. Grind coarse when nearly frozen, add seasoning to coarse grind then regrind through a smaller plate and stuff or package.

+ 1 for PS seasonings. I don't like chewing on fennel seeds but like the flavor so I soak them in some hot water ,since you need to add water anyway. I do this for brats too.

Back