summer lightening ag help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benshadow

Reaction score
I made this brewuk all grain kit a month ago but forgot the Irish moss. Have been cold crashing this for a week but is still cloudy as anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I just barrel and leave to clear? I'm not holding out much hope :-( thanks guys

ForumRunner_20121130_143233.jpg

Trying to keep this beer suitable for vegetarians so gelatin is out of the questions sadly. Any other ideas?

hmmmm... I know they have gelatin alternatives for cooking use, but have no idea how they would work for brewing. All the "after the fact" clarifiers I know of are at least in part based on gelatin, but then again I've never had a reason to look beyond.

Good luck! I'm sure it will taste fantastic regardless.....

Thanks for post. I think all yeast has dropped out now and maybe due to stupidly forgetting the Irish moss it is protein haze. Is this easily removed with gelatin or is there other methods for this? Thanks again

benshadow said:
Thanks for post. I think all yeast has dropped out now and maybe due to stupidly forgetting the Irish moss it is protein haze. Is this easily removed with gelatin or is there other methods for this? Thanks again

Many months of cold lagering will clear it eventually. Filtering can clear it up but that won't remove the colloidal protein suspension and would require a substantial investment in some equipment.

Otherwise I would suggest Gelitan or Isinglass and a set of tight lips. Ask yourself 'which do my friends like better; clear beer, or having an animal free lifestyle?'. And let your answer guide you.
It may help to know that the Gelitan and/or isenglas will not be in the beer you serve them ( it works by settling out and taking the particles with it). If they wear leather (coats, belts, shoes) I say -'play ball!'.

* EDIT: there is nothing wrong with a beer that's cloudy, as long as it tastes good. My $ 0.02

Ha. Tight lips May be the way forward. Got family coming over at Christmas. Want to show them that home made beer can be as good as beer from a pub. So gelatin would work to clear this horrible protein haze? Could I use normal gelatin sheets from the super market?

benshadow said:
Ha. Tight lips May be the way forward. Got family coming over at Christmas. Want to show them that home made beer can be as good as beer from a pub. So gelatin would work to clear this horrible protein haze? Could I use normal gelatin sheets from the super market?

Most supermarkets carry Knox plain gelatin in small packets. I use one small packet ( not much bigger than a dry yeast sachet.

First, get the beer cold to get the proteins to flock (haze). Then boil a cup. Of water to sterilize... ALLOW IT TO COOL to warm and THEN dissolve the gelatin in it. (if it's too hot it will gel too hard and too early). Then add it to the fermenter and allow it to sit for at least a few days, cold, before racking.
Just pour it in and let it work.

benshadow said:

There wss a thread recently about filtering from keg to keg under pressure. Do you keg? Several choices for filter types with one mesh filter leaving you with crystal clear beer.

Unfortunately I don't keg only pressure barrels. I made some old ale the day afte r making this annoying beer and remembered the Irish moss. Clear as anything now. Part of my problem I think is not having a wort chiller so not getting a good cold break. I don't really want to go the gelatin route but would like to impress people at Christmas. Dilemma..

Having another quick look online inbetween calls at work there seems to be products in the us such as biofine clear that are vegan and seem to do the job but can't find this stocked in the UK. Does anyone know where may stock this?

Back