Sumac wine, others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the warm coming soon(hopefully) the sumacs berries should be out soon. Sumac tea is kind of a local farm delicacy, and was wondering if I can make a sumac wine?

Also, its common to make a tea with hemlock or pine needles, can I do the same thing with this?

Im new at all this so bear with me, but let me tell you it is surely addicting:D

Hey, mudcrickbrewer, how's things in the land of the Rennaisance Fair? :)

I want to address your question on using the conifer needles -- Most have anti-microbial properties, which MAY have some impact on fermentation. I'm not suggesting that I know which organisms would be impacted, maybe something along the lines of K-meta (or even hops, w/r/t beer) not being particularly bad for cultured yeasts, but I'd suggest looking into it rather than just going ahead and then having to come back here with questions about why your fermentation is stuck or non-existent and nobody looks in that direction; no one wants you to become discouraged in your endeavors, least of all for reasons that may have been entirely preventable. It may well be that nothing will come of it, but ---

Good luck!
- Tim

Hey, mudcrickbrewer, how's things in the land of the Rennaisance Fair? :)

I want to address your question on using the conifer needles -- Most have anti-microbial properties, which MAY have some impact on fermentation. I'm not suggesting that I know which organisms would be impacted, maybe something along the lines of K-meta (or even hops, w/r/t beer) not being particularly bad for cultured yeasts, but I'd suggest looking into it rather than just going ahead and then having to come back here with questions about why your fermentation is stuck or non-existent and nobody looks in that direction; no one wants you to become discouraged in your endeavors, least of all for reasons that may have been entirely preventable. It may well be that nothing will come of it, but ---

Good luck!
- Tim

They are going pretty good Tim! Although in all my life I have never been to the rennaisance fair, even though my grandparents used to own a marina/B&B in fair haven! I hear its a good time though. I kinda had the same thoughts on the conifer needles, but figured what the heck, if I try it with a small 1 gallon batch, and if it ferments, great, if not, im not out much anything. :mug: If I try it, I'll make sure to post the results, Im definately trying the sumac wine though, that recipe on the link that linuxbgood posted doesnt look complicated for a beginner.

Back