Sulphuric aroma after conditioning in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
I just opened one of my latest beers, an American style wheat beer using US-05, and it has a weird sulphur aroma that wasn’t there’s pre-bottle conditioning. It dies off to a very sweet aroma/flavour - possible diacetyl.

I’m thinking it might be an infection butit tasted great pre-bottling,has anyone had something similar?

What yeast did you use? Wheat beers (and others) can develop sulphurous odors during fermentation . Generally time will take care of the issue.
Diacetyl does not taste sweet generally. More like buttered popcorn or maybe butterscotch.

What yeast did you use? Wheat beers (and others) can develop sulphurous odors during fermentation . Generally time will take care of the issue.
Diacetyl does not taste sweet generally. More like buttered popcorn or maybe butterscotch.

US-05. Temps were controlled throughout and raised towards the end of fermentation. I think butterscotch is the flavour, I’ve had troubles with this a few times now.

I have never done this, but heard that copper will get rid of the sulphur. Put a penny in your glass and see if that works..then reevaluate the taste issue. Good luck.

Just posting a quick update here in case anyone experiences this in future. I didn’t try the copper trick but left for another week or so and it’s mellowed down significantly into a really enjoyable beer.

Back