Sulfur in kegged lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppypoppy

Reaction score
I repitched WLP830 German lager yeast. The slurry was pretty old, 2 months. I thought I pitched enough yeast, 2 mason jars. I rushed the fermentation and when I was kegging the beer I got a lot of sulfur.

My question is will the sulfur blow off if it’s in the keg? I didn’t really notice it in the fermentation chamber like I have before, and that’s usually in the beginning and blows off. I am trying to degas it a few times a day hoping at the sulfur aroma doesn’t get pushed into the beer.

My question is will the sulfur blow off if it’s in the keg? I didn’t really notice it in the fermentation chamber like I have before, and that’s usually in the beginning and blows off. I am trying to degas it a few times a day hoping at the sulfur aroma doesn’t get pushed into the beer.

This is one of those rare times when it's good to have some dissolved O2 (or metals like copper) in the beer. It will neutralize the H2S. If there's not enough O2/metals to do the job, you could use the copper rod stirring trick as a last resort.

Regarding degassing, it's not that the gas will get pushed into the beer... the H2S gas in the headspace is coming from the beer. And each time you degas, you make room for more in the headspace, as the H2S will seek equilibrium. This might take a really long time and large number of de-gassings, though.

This is one of those rare times when it's good to have some dissolved O2 (or metals like copper) in the beer. It will neutralize the H2S. If there's not enough O2/metals to do the job, you could use the copper rod stirring trick as a last resort.

Regarding degassing, it's not that the gas will get pushed into the beer... the H2S gas in the headspace is coming from the beer. And each time you degas, you make room for more in the headspace, as the H2S will seek equilibrium. This might take a really long time and large number of de-gassings, though.

if I just gave the beer time would the sulfur blow off? Can I add O2/metals to the beer now?

if I just gave the beer time would the sulfur blow off? How do I add O2/metals to the beer now?

It can't blow off in a closed keg. That's why frequent degassing can help, as it allows more H2S to come out of the beer and into the headspace following each cycle.

But you may not need to do that...given time, the H2S might all be neutralized by O2/metals already in the beer. It's probably more typical than not that there's enough to do the job.

How do I add O2/metals to the beer now?

Personally, I wouldn't add more (pure) O2. Too much risk of overdoing it. But as I mentioned before, if all else fails, you could try stirring with a copper rod/tubing. Here's a C&P from a guide I wrote a while back:

"- Straighten a 25” piece of 3/8” OD copper refrigeration coil and sanitize it.
- Slowly stir the beer for about two minutes and smell, repeating if needed."

It can't blow off in a closed keg. That's why frequent degassing can help, as it allows more H2S to come out of the beer and into the headspace following each cycle.

But you may not need to do that...given time, the H2S might all be neutralized by O2/metals already in the beer. It's probably more typical than not that there's enough to do the job.

Personally, I wouldn't add more (pure) O2. Too much risk of overdoing it. But as I mentioned before, if all else fails, you could try stirring with a copper rod/tubing. Here's a C&P from a guide I wrote a while back:

the beer turned the corner. I am only getting a little sulfur now. At one point when degassing it smelt like straight rotten eggs. I just kegged too soon. Been degassing it from the keg periodically every day. I think a another day or two it should be Gone. Having some friends over today and I’ll see if they mention anything. The good news is the beer tastes great!

Really glad I found this! I've run into the same issue. I'll try the degassing a few times per day and if all else fails will give the copper rod trick a go this weekend.

I forgot to mention this keg uses a floating dip tube. I did notice last night if I pulled the lid off the keg for a min or so, popped back on, and purged like normal the pours were significantly better. Should I just keep doing that for the time being until copper can be had?

Edit: Pulled the keg lid again since purging with the lid on didn't seem to be doing too much. Put the keg lid back on, purged a few times to clear the headspace and it smelled much better. After purging I roused the keg a little and will check again this evening.

Last edited:
It will fade out if you give some time. Had similar issues when I brewed NZ lager last December with Sagflager 34/70. I had a quite tight schedule so I kegged the beer after 11 days of fermentation and three days cold crash. There was a very light sulfur note after the beer had sat in keg for about three weeks. I bottled straight from the keg and after month and a half the sulfur was gone

It will fade out if you give some time. Had similar issues when I brewed NZ lager last December with Sagflager 34/70. I had a quite tight schedule so I kegged the beer after 11 days of fermentation and three days cold crash. There was a very light sulfur note after the beer had sat in keg for about three weeks. I bottled straight from the keg and after month and a half the sulfur was gone

^^THIS^^

So is the consensus to pull the keg out and let it "condition" at room temps for awhile or just give it time in the kegerator? That's what's funny lol So many options for sulfur removal...Seems like it's just down to the homebrewer to decide what's best for them haha! I'll keep pulling the keg lid/rousing twice a day and if it's not gone by Friday I'll try the 25" 3/8 copper tubing 2 minute stir trick. If that doesn't fix it then I'll just let it condition at room temp for a good while ;)

So is the consensus to pull the keg out and let it "condition" at room temps for awhile or just give it time in the kegerator? That's what's funny lol So many options for sulfur removal...Seems like it's just down to the homebrewer to decide what's best for them haha! I'll keep pulling the keg lid/rousing twice a day and if it's not gone by Friday I'll try the 25" 3/8 copper tubing 2 minute stir trick. If that doesn't fix it then I'll just let it condition at room temp for a good while ;)

There is no consensus and probably never will be. My thinking is that people just love to fiddle, thinking they are making a difference, when in fact what many others know from experience is that just by waiting 3 or 4 weeks and otherwise doing nothing, the sulfur will usually age out all by itself, regardless of any actions taken by a human.

Does it age out in a cold conditioned keg or does the keg need to be at room temps?

I just kept my keg in my kegerator and after bottling the beer they were left in cold cellar. Time and patience is all you need. I'm sure that your beer will turn out amazing :)

Does it age out in a cold conditioned keg or does the keg need to be at room temps?

The chemical reactions that will make it "age out" will happen faster at higher temperatures. Just realize that the speed and the endpoint will also depend on how much oxygen (or trace metals) are in the beer. This is one time (maybe the only time) when having lots of dissolved O2 in the beer is good.

Welp the combination of Campden tablets and off gassing has fixed this issue! There’s still some sulfur there but it’s barely there. It seems off gassing throughout the day and removing the keg lid every so often for a minute or so/purging seemed to help more than anything else. Maybe it’s not the best recommended method but hey it works!

Latest posts

Back