Suggestions- Is fermentation Complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeroscout

Reaction score
This is my sixth batch of 5 gallon sweet mead. All have turned out fine except for one batch which I lost a few bottles because I didn't use potassium metabisulfite at bottling.

I use D-47 and 18 lbs of honey for a 5 gallon batch
OG 1.143
FG 1.036
It has been six months since I started. I haven't seen any activity in the airlock for weeks and so today when I got that FG I figure I could bottle. Using an online SG calculator that comes out to about 14% and that is about D-47's tolerance. Today when I racked it over I added 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite, put the airlock back on and then moved it to the fridge. Upon moving it I noticed the airlock bubbling about 2 bubbles a minute. I thought this might be caused by the sloshing around from moving it. Does anyone have input on if it is still fermenting or was it caused by the sloshing?

Adding powder of any kind to a liquid saturated with gas will cause the gas to nucleate and bubble out. You are lucky that the nucleation did not result in a volcano of mead being pushed through the neck of your carboy by the force of the gas

Latest posts

Back