Suggestions for two lagers with similar profiles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys, like most new brewers, I hit it fast and heavy. I've brewed nearly constantly since last October and have gotten to the point that it's consuming every spare minute of my time, energy and money. There is more beer in my closet than one person can ever consume alone and chances are I will pour most of it down the drain before I get a chance to drink it.

Anyhow, I have 15 gallons bubbling now, and two kits waiting to be brewed. Most of this speedy brewing is to prepare for a large crawfish boil with a beer tasting for my coworkers in late May. Once it's done, then life will resume as normal.

It's hard admitting that it's just time to stop brewing for a while. Grr, But since I've yet to try doing a lager, I figured I would take advantage of the long lagering period to get me through maybe August or so while I deplete the bottled beer in the closet and to just give my wallet a break. I've went from extract kit to all grain with kegerators, freezer fermenting chambers, beer coolers, filters, 8 carboys. Well you get the point. I got stupid crazy buying stuff is what I've done.

I am not a big hophead and prefer the lighter beers. Yeah, I enjoy a nice cold Ultra from time to time too. Since I have only enough room in my 7.0cf freezer for two carboys, can anyone suggest a cpl recipes/styles/beers etc. that will have the same lagering time schedule?

I'm hunting for a all grain beer that is light and crisp that will go down good with the August summer heat. I love brewing, but I have reached a point that if I don't stop and drink or share what I have, it's just being wasteful, not to mention pretty soon I'll be mowing twice a week and fighting blood thirsty skeeters outside. lol

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pilsner would fit pretty well. You could definitely try a kolsch, as well. Cream of Three Crops seems to be popular, and could probably do well with some lagering. You could also try a saison. They ferment well in the heat, and you don't need to take up room in your freezer for them. And they're great summer beers.

Lol, I have two Kolschs now. One from November in bottles and one in the keg since last month. Also have Cream of Three Crops in the closet that has been done for a month. Have only popped 1-2 since then. I seen a Pilsner Youtube video tonight on how to make the perfect pour. Dang it looked sooo good. I've not done a Pils yet so I think I'm going to stop at the store in the next few days and try a 6 pack to see how I like it.

+1 for cream of three crops. Check out BJCP for the styles of American lager. It gives the basic idea of what's in them and commercial examples.

And if it's crawfish, a nice citrus wheat. Use zest of your favorite citrus fruits and citra hops . Damn. I love American lagers, citrus wheat and crawfish.

In January, I made a Vienna and a Dort with the same Danish lager yeast. A Dort is like a slightly maltier Pilsner and benifits from more minerally water.

Damn. I love American lagers, citrus wheat and crawfish.
i-mgrp7SR-L.jpg

Not to take away from the thread. But can't ya just taste them? lol

Since this will also be my first Homebrew Jam, I felt obligated to ensure my guest has no reason to walk away thirsty. Here is the beverage lineup. When I get done with this one, I'm putting the feet up in the recliner and taking a chill pill for a few months.

Pumpkin Spice Porter
Kolsch
Hard Cherry Limeade
The Light House
Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Cream of three crops
New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
Blue Moon
Reissdorf Kolsch
Abita Amber
Samuel Adams Summer Ale
Irish Red Ale
Centennial Blond
American Wheat
Wisconsin Belgian Red

Mmmmmm. With corn, red potatoes and sausage. The old folks would add a few onions and garlic cloves. They'd mash the onion and garlic between two buttered saltine crackers and eat it like a sandwich.

Of your guests can't find something to drink out of that, chuck them in a pot too.

Back