Suggestions for Montreal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
Going to Montreal all next week for work. Anyone know any good places to grab a good pint? Locally brewed would be awesome, but a good draft/bottle house would also be great.

You should go to Dieu Du Ciel, it's one of the best brewery in Quebec. There is also Belenux, I heard it's good but didn't taste their beers yet!

If you want to grab some bottles, stop by Peluso, they carry a lot of great stuff! Beers from Microbrasserie Charlevoix (Vache Folle beers and Dominus Vobiscum's), Les Trois Mousquetaires (especially their Doppelbock, or any brew that is in a 750ml bottle). There are also the classic Unibroue and McAuslan/St-Ambroise that are worth it.

I'm not an expert yet, but that's my 2 cent on beers you could get in Mtl. If you stop by Sherbrooke (the city, there's a street in Montreal called Sherbrooke too) you got to go to the Siboire. It's the best brewpub in town.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll have plenty of free time in the evenings, so I'll check out several places.

Misplaced_Canuck, my parents used to live in Florence, SC. Can't say that I loved Florence, but Columbia's pretty cool. I'm excited about checking out your homeland.

There's a reason to go to Florence now: A brewpub called Southern Hops opened not too long ago!

M_C
Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll have plenty of free time in the evenings, so I'll check out several places.

Misplaced_Canuck, my parents used to live in Florence, SC. Can't say that I loved Florence, but Columbia's pretty cool. I'm excited about checking out your homeland.

I'll be on my honeymoon in QC from July 11-22. This thread has been helpful to me, too! I already planned on Deiu de Ciel (Peche Mortel is heavenly), St. Ambroise, and Unibroue.

Dieu du ciel, definitely.
Benelux? Not really. I wasn't impressed at all with their beers
Le Saint-Bock: Definitely! Loved that place.

A nice beer bar: Bieres et compagnie. Sunday through Wednesday, all you can eat mussels!

M_C

Quite a few of the MontreAlers haunt the benelux, and from what they say, the beer is awesome, but of course I can't speak from experience. Having said that, if you did visit there, ask the barstaff where the MontreAlers sit and join them.

I wasn't saying that Benelux' beers are bad... But they weren't really impressive.

Dieu du ciel is great, parking is a bit of a dog (like most of Montreal anyways). Watch out for parking sign with a little square with a number in it. Those mean that you must have the decal with the same number during the prescribed time.

These:

residential-parking-ticket.jpg

==> No parking Mon-Fri 9:30a to 9pm, EXCEPT when you have sticker/permit #8. Parking is permitted without a sticker at all other times.

Another one:

contravention-vignette-de-stationnement-expiree.jpg

==> No parking Mon-Sat 9am to 8pm, Except with sticker #44. Parking is permitted without a sticker at all other times.

M_C

There's a reason to go to Florence now: A brewpub called Southern Hops opened not too long ago!

M_C

Nice, good to know. Can't say that I'll be there any time soon, but its good to know there's a brewpub there now.

So far I've been to Dieu du Ciel two nights. So far I've had the saison, the IPA, the black IPA, and the blonde. Planning on checking out somewhere else tomorrow night. Also got a 750 of the Blonde de Chambly from Unibroue. Wish we got that in the states, its a good beer. And Unibroue 750's for $5 is pretty nice.

If I only didn't have so much work to do during the day, I could see more of the actual sites in and around the city.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Went to Benelux tonight. I have to admit, I like their beers better than Dieu du Ciel. For atmosphere, I'm 100% in favor of Dieu du Ciel. Its definitely more of my kind of place - low-key, old-school, a little grungy. But I thought the beers (at least the ones I had) were better at Benelux. I had the saison, which I liked better than the Dieu saison, and I had their Sabotage IPA, finished with Nelson Sauvin hops. The IPA was really tasty.

Haven't had the Peche Mortel from Dieu yet, its definitely on the list for tomorrow or Thursday night.

Then they must have improved :) Glad to hear you're having a good time there.

If you want grungy, drop by Cheval Blanc!

M_C
Went to Benelux tonight. I have to admit, I like their beers better than Dieu du Ciel. For atmosphere, I'm 100% in favor of Dieu du Ciel. Its definitely more of my kind of place - low-key, old-school, a little grungy. But I thought the beers (at least the ones I had) were better at Benelux. I had the saison, which I liked better than the Dieu saison, and I had their Sabotage IPA, finished with Nelson Sauvin hops. The IPA was really tasty.

Haven't had the Peche Mortel from Dieu yet, its definitely on the list for tomorrow or Thursday night.

Back