What to brew on OYL-111/WPL833 cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
In a week or two I'll be transferring a maibock, leaving behind what should be a pretty good OYL-111 cake.

Suggestions for a follow-up brew to dump on that cake?

I know something like festbier or octoberfest would work, but something a bit more "summer-ish" perhaps?

I just finished up a German Pilsner that's carbonating now with Oly 111. A sample out of the FV was promising. The guy at my LHBS said it was good in an American style Pils too.

All German lagers are summery as hell to me, except maybe Doppelbock. Vienna lager or Dunkel would be great or a Helles would work too.

I have a thread on difference of results using lager yeast vs ale yeast for what would normally be an ale brew.

What is your opinion on result mixing it up a bit by making, say, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-type clone using this yeast and lager fermenting/process?

I have a thread on difference of results using lager yeast vs ale yeast for what would normally be an ale brew.

What is your opinion on result mixing it up a bit by making, say, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-type clone using this yeast and lager fermenting/process?

I think the ester component would be missing, but likely not a big enough impact to ruin the beer.

It's a very clean yeast with minimal esters and decent attenuation.

I would possibly be inclined to do something like an india pale lager, with 80% pilsner or 2-row and 20% Munich, loaded up with a mix of historic and modern German hops- maybe some Mandarina Bavaria and alongside Hallertau.

Shoot for 1.060 OG, and about 50 IBU with a biggish whirlpool (maybe 5oz) and a couple of ounces dry-hopped post lagering.

Latest posts

Back