Suggestions for adding more body to this beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
3.5 lbs. Wheat DME
.5 lbs. Light DME
1.5 lbs. Clover Honey
1 oz. Cascade hops
Zest of 2 oranges
Wyeast WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast
OG 1.042
FG 1.004

Tastes great, right where I wanted it to be flavor wise. It has a bit of a watery mouth feel though. What could I add to give more body to the mouth feel for the next batch? More wheat DME? Maybe mash some flaked wheat?

Most of the grains (flake oats/wheat, wheat, and I think even carpils) would need mashing. If you are capable of this (really at small quantities it is just a long, controlled steep with some base grain) then those are good options, and if not you can buy some maltodextrine sugars to add to the boil!

Not enough DME or (LME). I use a total of about 6.75lbs. Depending on when you add the honey,it'll ferment out & give a lower FG. You could raise the light DME to 3lbs,cut the honey down & add it to primary after initial fermentation. That'd give more honey flavor.

Mashing isn't a problem, got the equipment for it.

I'll try boosting the DME and maybe add 1/2 lb of flaked wheat in the next batch. I found this recipe looking for something like Blue Moon and it is really close. It just feels thin.

That's because you only used .5lb of light DME. It's simply not enough malt to give the right body. Try for an FG of 1.010,or 1.012 for better mouth feel.

The recipe called for .010 to .012, I was surprised to see it go all the way to .004.

I'll definitely boost the light DME then, thanks for the tip.

if you want the honey flavor try a little bit of honey malt instead of the honey

honey will ferment out and leave the beer dry

you can also try using a less attenuative yeast strain

Back