Suggestions/ Critiques for my Scotch Wee Heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carusoat

Reaction score
Hi folks, been lurking for a while and thought maybe i could get some opinions on my Scotch Wee Heavy I've been crafting. (trying to stay true to the Scotch Wee Heavy guidelines)

5 gal all grain (not sure on efficiency)

Fermentables:

13 lb Simpson's Golden Promise Malt [87%]
1.5 lb Crystal (probably somewhere around 20L) [10%]
1/2 lb Roasted Barley [3%]

Hops:

1 oz Willamette (60 min)
1.5 oz Willamette (30 min)

Yeast:

White Labs WL028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast.

Mash:

90 min @ 154
10 min @ 168

Take first gallon of run off, and boil it down to around a pint, then add that to the boil.

How's it look?

Looks good to me! It actually looks pretty similar to a recipe I did a while back, which turned out great. Cheers!

This looks about perfect to me, I like the simplicity of your grain bill. You can consider a touch of peated malt if you want some smokiness, but that is a personal taste thing. Otherwise, I like it.

Thanks guys,

I have thought about putting some smoky stuff in there, but i think I'm going to try without it for the first batch.

If you're carmelizing the wort you could probably omit the crystal and up the golden promise to 15lbs. I believe this is what Traquair house does.

Back