Sugar- Any difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing a Belgian Abbey Treipel beer. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs "Belgian clear candi sugar". I believe this is nothing but pure sucrose. My LHBS sells it in 1 llb packaged at $5.00 a lb which means a $10 outlay. Can't I just subtitute grocery store table sugar at a fraction of the cost? Sucrose is Sucrose. Right?

Thanks for the input. I'm off to the grocery store to buy a couple of pounds od Domino granulated sugar.

If you read the whole thread there is a bit of a question if the Belgians invert the sugar first. If I were brewing with sugar I'd go ahead and invert it first, even if the disaccharides will eventually ferment out the monosaccharides of a fully inverted sugar will definitely ferment fuller and faster. If you want to essentially boost ABV without adding introducing cidery/winey flavors I would recommend inverting. If you are looking for a sugar flavor then it will probably make less difference.

Either way you're better off using grocery store sugar to make whatever you are going to be brewing with.

Latest posts

Back