Sugar and strength

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi,

When I started making wine a couple of years ago I was just bunging in 3 pounds of sugar to the gallon, and consequently my wine ended up sweet and syrupy.

When I started using a hydrometer, accounting for the natural sugar in the must, and ensuring that my starting SG was 1090 (as I was aiming for a dry wine of about 12 per cent) my wine started turning out as I wanted it (dry). I found I only needed about 2 and a half pounds of sugar to the gallon to get my starting SG to the desired level.

It would appear that I was using too much sugar, and the excess sugar was not being turned into alcohol thus producing an overly sweet wine. However, why didn't this sugar just turn into alcohol and leave me with a dry, but stronger wine? What else may have been going on?

Kind regards,

Ross

Each yeast has it's own specific alcohol tolerance, my guess is that your yeast did all they could until they made too much alcohol and died off.

Cheers.

I have always used Young's All purpose white or Burgundy red, so maybe this make can only handle up to about 12 per cent volume?

Kind regards,

Ross

Latest posts

Back