Sudden jump in carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had a sudden jump in carbonation a few days after priming. It isn't a big deal but I am intrigued.

I bottled and primed a "test bottle" with the original juice on 27 Dec. FG then was 1.001 after 10 days, and I added AJ to 1.009 (a bit more than I wanted but it is a bit hard to take it out once you have put it in). The idea was to only put in enough AJ (say to 1.005) to develop about 2.0 - 2.5 volumes of CO2 on the basis that once all the sugar is gone, the yeast stop producing CO2... just like priming with sugar.

I have done this successfully before and quite predictably CO2 pressure started building at the rate of around 0.1 to 0.2.0 bar (something like 2 psi) per day. The test bottle (with TF-6) followed this pattern but perhaps a little more enthusiastically than usual.
Day 0 - 0.0 bar/0psi
Day 1 - 0.4 bar/6psi,
Day 2- 0.6 bar/9psi,
Day 3 - 0.8 bar/12psi,
Day 4 - 1 bar/15psi,
Day 5 - 1.7 bar/25psi... yikes! almost half a volume of CO2 in a day but the temperature was up a bit (from around 22C/72F to 30C/85F). I have been monitoring the test bottle in the house rather than in the cool store which is constant at 16C/60F.
Day 6 today - 2 bar 29 psi... a bit enthusiastic but not as much as yesterday. The temperature inside is 25C/77F.

If it goes beyond 2.5 or 3.0 bar (i.e. somewhere up to 3 volumes of CO2) I plan to release a bit of pressure and keep monitoring until it stabilises in that range. This outcome is partly because I was a bit heavy handed with the priming. Of course I can pasteurise to stop this but I wanted a "clean" fully fermented TF-6 without any residual sugar to compare with a similar AS-2 batch to see which yeast I use next.

Anyhow, I am surmising that the yeast population might have quickly reached a level where the abundant sugar is being consumed very quickly due to the relatively high ambient temperature, but I have not come across this before. No extra yeast was added, and I wouldn't have expected temperature to have such effect on the fermentation rate.

So, any views on what is going on will be welcome... just something to think about early in the New Year!

After a bit of overnight pondering, I decided to see if I could find any information about the temperature effect on pasteurisation rate. Plugging the numbers into Andrew Lea's carbonation table, lo and behold... in the temperature range 20C-30C a difference of 10C will increase the bottle pressure by around 30% - 50% as the CO2 is driven out of solution.

This possibly explains what is going on, so the test bottle is back in the cool store at around 18C.

Just an edit... I have since found some studies that suggest that optimal yeast activity occurs in the range 30C-35C. Looks like a double whammy was in play.

Last edited:
After a bit of overnight pondering, I decided to see if I could find any information about the temperature effect on pasteurisation rate. Plugging the numbers into Andrew Lea's carbonation table, lo and behold... in the temperature range 20C-30C a difference of 10C will increase the bottle pressure by around 30% - 50% as the CO2 is driven out of solution.

This possibly explains what is going on, so the test bottle is back in the cool store at around 18C.

Just an edit... I have since found some studies that suggest that optimal yeast activity occurs in the range 30C-35C. Looks like a double whammy was in play.
All I could think of was that the increase in temp would make the yeast go faster. Totally forgot that temp would have an effect on currently dissolved CO2. So what that means is that you have to either keep the test bottle at a consistent temp, or temp correct the psi reading (I assume that can be done), to get meaningful data.

Funny how having extra data leads to more questions than answers.

Back