Successes and failures with grain mills, what mill has worked best for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
++. On corona mill. Takes a little getting grinds the way you want them but works great. I still hand crank mine, a little work out to get the blood flowing and mind working before brewing.

I only brew 2 gallon batches and w/ the $6 blender I bought at Good Will I can turn 4-5 lbs of grain into flour ( I BIAB ) in less than 10 minutes. Works for me.

I have a cereal killer and love it for the price. My efficiency is much more consistent than without it.

Same here. We've had amazing consistency with the Cereal Killer. There are probably better and certainly more expensive mills out there but for someone that brews once, maybe twice a month, it's a good bargain. Our last 10 batches, no matter what we've made, we've consistently been +/- 1%.

I just love my JSP mill (http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm). It's a solid 10" wide and cracks up the grains perfectly. I BIAB, so I have cranked down the gap (I have the adjustable mill) it is the perfect crush.

I would highly recommend this product, I've easily crush 750-1,000 lbs of grain and it has barely broken a sweat. I hand crank (I know) and regularly dust 15-25 pd grain bills.

Great product, quality and service - that is hard to beat the days.

I have a CrankandStein 3D mill. Bought pulleys to run it on my Shopsmith at around 150RPM. It works great, easy to adjust the gap, plenty of torque. Dump 10-15 pounds of grain in the hopper, switch it on, come back in 5 minutes and I'm done.

Just got my monster mill on the special deal they have going on. Works great. Increased my efficiency 6 percent.

I am going to be the guy (since I have three in me right now) that will say that most people will spend $200 to solve a $40 problem... Infer what you will...

I love my JSP mill, but Fred is right. A $40 corona mill, bucket and 25 min of effort will get you a great mill - especially if you BIAB and brew once a month or less.

I will be one of those guys that says....

I love my monster mill, yes you can always justify the cost!!!! just be creative

My Cereal Killer was affordable and performs like a champ.

Same here. Originally bought a Corona mill as per much recommendation and it was just terrible in every regard, maybe it was a poor build but it really let me down, so I moved on and couldn't be happier - so far!

Edit: VV - I agree completely. Just isn't doable living in an apartment, if I had outdoor space or tools, I'd have beat the crap out of it until it worked properly. But with about 3 square feet of brewing room I opted for something without the tinkering - plus the mill portion was so damn wobbly I think the building I'm living in was vibrating after the 2nd attempt.

Same here. Originally bought a Corona mill as per much recommendation and it was just terrible in every regard, maybe it was a poor build but it really let me down, so I moved on and couldn't be happier - so far!

Unfortunate you had a bad experience, everyone must realize that for 25-30 bucks, half or more is likely shipping, the build quality on these mills is rather crude, and the final fit up is up to the end user.

They are all a "poor build" of sorts, but typically can be persuaded to mill barley rather well IME. The corona is best for someone with DIY experience and a willingness to tinker. If your expectation is to unbox it and be milling in minutes, perhaps not the mill for you.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Kegco 3 roller selling for $139, seems like a very nice mill for the money.

There is a thread going, sorry no link.

Monster Mill 2.0 running with a gap of 0.035 I achieved 90% efficiency on a batch sparge today. Before I was running at 0.030 but the drain was REALLY slow so I upped the gap and everything is better. I am using my corded DeWalt drill to run it and have no issues.

I know that others have had success with other mills but I am very very happy with the performance and predictability of my MM2. Once I set the gap and lock it in with a 1/4 turn from hand tight on the screws it stays at that gap.

I e had a three roller Monster Mill for a little over two years. I cannot say enough good things about it. I got it with a 10+ lb grain hopper & motorized it w/ the All American Power Grinder.
It goes through my average 15-20
Lbs of grain I no time.
Great crush consistently!

The corona is best for someone with DIY experience and a willingness to tinker. If your expectation is to unbox it and be milling in minutes, perhaps not the mill for you.
This. 100% this.

I spent about an hour total tinkering with mine, and "fixing" a couple of spots with my Dremel, before it was suitable for milling. A couple of batches to fine tune the crush, and it's been perfect ever since. This hobby can be expensive enough, so I chose to save all that "mill-money" for other brewing expenses.

End result is the same however. Beer. It's really up to you whether or not you're willing to put all that extra coin towards a mill. If you're one of those who buys a Mercedes instead of a Chevy, just to drive to work, then you already know your mill of choice.

2 wheel and I am not looking back. Brewed again today and it's flawless. $165 with hopper, mill, base, feeler gauge and oil . Tough to beat by the time you fiddle around with some diy project you probably aren't saving much if anything.

I'm sure Monster Mills and Barley Crushers are faster, and everything I have heard about them is they are pretty reliable, but I like my Corona with the bigger hopper.

I recently took off the handle and replaced it with a bolt with a recessed hex head (it has a metric thread), and run it with an 18 volt battery drill.

It cost me $30, got it on Buy.com. Probably used it for several hundred lbs of grain. After initially setting the gap, the only time I had to change the gap was when I adapted it for the drill. Running it faster lowered my efficiency. Reducing the gap, brought back my efficiency. Apart from that I have not had to adjust it.

What bolt/drill exactly did you use? I tried something similar and it wouldn't turn.

I use a cereal killer and it works great. Never had any issues. Plus it is the cheapest one I have seen.

What bolt/drill exactly did you use? I tried something similar and it wouldn't turn.

I kept a note of the size. It is an 8 mm thread with a recessed hex in the head. It was a little too long, so used a few washers to seat it.

I use a Ridgid 18 volt drill.

Maybe you have the mill too tight. Mine is set just at the point where I can't turn it by hand without the handle. Basically just snug.

Another +1 on the el-cheapo corona mill. I have over 50 batches on mine, without a single adjustment needed after getting the crush where I wanted.

I modified mine to to add an electric drill to power it for $0. I removed the handle, and then grinded down the bolt head that attached the handle to the mill. I then just attach the drill to the grinded down bolt head. Works great. I also spent about $5 on a tupperware container to catch the grain and used some scrap wood to put together a base for it. I had some sheet metal lying around that I formed into a cone and put into the hopper, which gives my grinder a roughly 15 pound capacity, which is enough to hold my entire grain bill in probably 95% of my brews.

Here's a picture of her (without the larger hopper attached). She's ugly and cheap, but she's mine, and paid for! :tank:

20150427_085918-X2.jpg

20150427_085859-X2.jpg

I'm about $30 all in. I'll probably eventually replace this with a nice mill... But that won't be for a LONG time, since it's about dead last on my list of things to upgrade in my brewery.

+1 on the MM2.. always performs, high quality, great adjustments, the platform is the only real down fall IMO

From the mills I've used and the ones I only read about I gather they are all useable! I would even say they all can make a great beer if you do a little reading on how to best utilize them. What ever you buy you'll have to learn the machine. The question is what best fits you. Some of us have unlimited space and others must work from a closet. Some of us have unlimited funds and others have to save our change all month just to buy ingredients. Whatever you buy take the time to learn it, set it up, clean it, adjust it. Different speeds give different results. Different crush thickness gives different results. Learn the machine! I have a $40 corona mill and my local homebrew shop has a $200 roller mill. Both have made great beer for me, but both were set and used properly. Equipment is great but if you can't use it properly you may as well not even have it! Whatever you do, don't buy a $250 mill and then brew twice a year. Nothing sadder than a sports car that never gets driven!

Not sure if this would tip the balance for a few of you on the fence. From a few conversations I had with those who know, the Crankandsteins beat the Monster Mills in many regards. As a matter of fact they used to be the same company and split up. Crankandstein is owned by the machinist, Monster Mill by the salesman. Who would you rather buy from?

I came to this knowledge after I had already owned the MM2 for a few years. I then inadvertently bent the 3/8" drive shaft when the HF Low Speed Heavy Duty drill turned unexpectedly, wedging itself between the shaft and the crappy MDF base board. Reason this happened, the non-driven roller had locked itself up after 2 months of non-use. Fortunately I was able to straighten the shaft adequately, then re-designed and built a new baseboard that now secures the drill properly. It won't ever move again. Lesson learned: make sure the slave roller spins freely before milling!

The Barley Crushers are made in China and sold by a company that doesn't honor its advertised "lifetime warranty." They won't even answer your email or pick up the phone. There are numerous reports on that.

For comparison, when I contacted Monster Mill for replacement options after I had bent the shaft, the owner answered my email within hours, and I could buy a new shaft/roller assembly and upgrade to the 1/2" shaft with new bushings at the same time. Some day I may spring for that, but it ain't free.

From what I understand the Crankandstein's shaft is detachable from the drive roller. That's better engineering too!

Last edited:
Not sure if this would tip the balance for a few of you on the fence. From a few conversations I had with those who know, the Crankensteins beat the Monster Mills in many regards. As a matter of fact they used to be the same company and split up. Crankenstein is owned by the machinist, Monster Mill by the salesman. Who would you rather buy from?

I came to this knowledge after I had already owned the MM2 for a few years. I then inadvertently bent the 3/8" drive shaft when the HF Low Speed Heavy Duty drill turned unexpectedly, wedging itself between the shaft and the crappy MDF base board. Reason this happened, the non-driven roller had locked itself up after 2 months of non-use. Fortunately I was able to straighten the shaft adequately, then re-designed and built a new baseboard that now secures the drill properly. It won't ever move again. Lesson learned: make sure the slave roller spins freely before milling!

The Barley Crushers are made in China and sold by a company that doesn't honor its advertised "lifetime warranty." They won't even answer your email or pick up the phone. There are numerous reports on that.

For comparison, when I contacted Monster Mill for replacement options after I had bent the shaft, the owner answered my email within hours, and I could buy a new shaft/roller assembly and upgrade to the 1/2" shaft with new bushings at the same time. Some day I may spring for that, but it ain't free.

From what I understand the Crankenstein's shaft is detachable from the drive roller. That's better engineering too!

I bought the Monster Mill & have had mostly trouble free use (occasionally the free roller needs a little coaxing..) plus I like the hopper design a lot. However, if I were to do it again (I hope not) I'd probably get the Crankandstein owing to the gear driven second roller.

Not sure if this would tip the balance for a few of you on the fence. From a few conversations I had with those who know, the Crankandsteins beat the Monster Mills in many regards. As a matter of fact they used to be the same company and split up. Crankandstein is owned by the machinist, Monster Mill by the salesman. Who would you rather buy from?

From what I understand the Crankandstein's shaft is detachable from the drive roller. That's better engineering too!

I think you sold me on the crankandatein mill. I'm looking at the 3D with hopper and base. I like the added gears in the end of each wheel helping it get started easier. The only thing is that I see that they are in the middle of moving and if I order one it might take who knows how long to get it. I messaged them to see how long it would be before they reopened and hope to get a reply before too long.

Thanks for the info and suggestion.

I think you sold me on the crankandatein mill. I'm looking at the 3D with hopper and base. I like the added gears in the end of each wheel helping it get started easier. The only thing is that I see that they are in the middle of moving and if I order one it might take who knows how long to get it. I messaged them to see how long it would be before they reopened and hope to get a reply before too long.

Thanks for the info and suggestion.

Well, I didn't mean to be that persuasive, but they're great mills. :D

I was looking at the 2D and 3D too at the time. Not sure what made me buy the MM2 instead. Maybe it was availability too at the time and the good reviews on the MM2.

I ordered the MM2 with 3/8" shaft, but after the 3/8" drill I had in mind using couldn't even touch the job, I bought the 1/2" HF, then regretting not getting the 1/2" shaft from the get go.

A motor well-aligned to the shaft should work flawlessly, regardless of the 1/8" spindle difference, but dangling that heavy drill from the shaft is not an appealing thought.

They may have a few in stock, ready to ship, who knows. I see they sell the 1/2" adapter, but that doesn't change the shaft at the bearing, which is where it counts the most.

This weekend I was at a small new startup brewery (1.5 barrel boils for now) and they are using an MM2. Now that's a good testing arena for its durability, I'd say. I'll keep checking it.

Well, I didn't mean to be that persuasive, but they're great mills. :D

I was looking at the 2D and 3D too at the time. Not sure what made me buy the MM2 instead. Maybe it was availability too at the time and the good reviews on the MM2.

I ordered the MM2 with 3/8" shaft, but after the 3/8" drill I had in mind using couldn't even touch the job, I bought the 1/2" HF, then regretting not getting the 1/2" shaft from the get go.

A motor well-aligned to the shaft should work flawlessly, regardless of the 1/8" spindle difference, but dangling that heavy drill from the shaft is not an appealing thought.

They may have a few in stock, ready to ship, who knows. I see they sell the 1/2" adapter, but that doesn't change the shaft at the bearing, which is where it counts the most.

This weekend I was at a small new startup brewery (1.5 barrel boils for now) and they are using an MM2. Now that's a good testing arena for its durability, I'd say. I'll keep checking it.

I was trying to check with crabkandstein before I ordered because I just wanted to make sure they could ship one or if I would have to wait 2-4 months. I'm sure they probably have a few already made but if my card is charged and it takes them 2-4 months to get my mill that's not gonna work. I need one at least in the next month.

Let me know how the mill works at the brewery, and I would have thought they would use something larger than the MM2.

Back