Success story, 5 gal hard apple cider 12%abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRW1

Reaction score
Hello,
I just completed and bottled 5 gallons of some real heavy cider, OG 1.090, FG 1.000. So thats about 12% abv. It takes 1 to feel slightly more than tipsy, 2 to get drunk, 3 to get smashy, 4 to get smashed and blackout.
We threw 6 lbs safeway brown sugar into the safeway apple juice/apple cider blend, stirred a lot, and pitched EC 1118, a stellar yeast for high gravity fermentations.
And it doesn't even taste bad, it just tastes strongish cool and a little less strong and less accentuated flavor profile room temperature. Great stuff, Highly recommend to any brewer wanting to experiment with Apfelweins and High Gravity Fermentations.
Peace.

Ec1118 I think does a superb job but the higher the abv the longer you have to condition it

what fermentation temp and how long?

didnt take the temperature, room temp obviously, beginning of summer. probably around 65. 2 weeks in the primary until bubbling became really sparse, right at 2 weeks too, it was crazy. then we bottled.

I also have experiments going now with 1118 1116 d47 & good ole notty ale...SWMBO says I brew too much..my friends and coworkers never complain though.

solid. i dont think you can really brew too much as a homebrewer, unless if you have a brewery to yourself, only for you because you didnt think to buy a distributing license. that would be too much.

I will probably tone it down once I find a few recipes I absolutley fall in love with..but as of now I just tell my coworkers "Free Alcohol Friday"!!! and they all meet me at the trunk of my car after we punch the clock..good times I tell you

Tried making some appleJack, but the original recipe made some great cider too, I used regular apple cider, and table sugar and American whiskey yeast WLP 065 the yeast did a great job, and got the yeast down from around 1.21 to around 1.03 stuff worked great

Colorblind brewing

Flavor beats color every time

Latest posts

Back