Substitute for Munich 10L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Zombie Dust clone (called Sandman per Beersmith). My LHBS doesn't seem to carry exactly the Munich 10L. They do carry the 20L and a couple others that seems close, but I really don't know the differences yet. One is " Epiphany Munich Malt, 7.4-14.6L (Epiphany Craft Malt)" and the other "MUNICH MALT (TYPE 2, DARK), 8L (WEYERMANN)"...are either of these close enough? If not, what else should I be looking for? I have consulted a few online substitution pages and it seems the Munich 2 might be the one to choose. Just looking for confirmation or other suggestions. Thanks much.

While the Munich II color may be close, domestic Munich 10L has a very different flavor. Munich II is much breadier and darker tasting, high in melanoidens, whereas Munich 10 imparts a dry-biscuity flavor that is is more like a biscuit malt. Munich 10 works well in IPAs for that reason.

At a low usage rate, I don't think it really matters that much, but I'd still try to source a better subsitution.

Back