submersible Pump for CIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty much killed a submersible pump by running it in water that was too warm for it. If they have a listed ceiling of 100F, I'd plan to keep the solution under that (no more than 95F would be safer). Or locate a pump that will handle the higher temperatures.

I'm using my Chugger pumps to CIP with (mounted to the brew stand). Those allow me to recirculate through my BK as well as conical fermenters (with CIP ball installed) easily. I can also run the solution at higher temps when I want. Plus, it means I don't need to keep track of yet another pump, or more hardware, for the CIP process. I continue using them to rinse and then sanitize the conical.

i do have a spare chugger but im not sure if they are strong enough, what im in need to clean are my kegmenter, those regular kegs with BH fermentation add-on, and its really hard to clean the kraussen on those , so i was thinking oon a high pressure CIP pump to "scrub" the walls

be sure to post back here if you do. I'm curious how you would hook it up to conical and use it. Not sure how you would get the hot cleaning solution in and out (tee fittings and valves perhaps?). And would you set up an inline RIMS to keep the cleaning solution at right temps? Seems like a fun project...

I'm using my Chugger pump, with the Spike CIP ball (it's made to work with March/Chugger pumps) without issue. That's with my Spike CF10 fermenters. I use the bottom drain in the conical to feed the pump (pretty much at the same level). If the pump is too much higher than the outlet from the fermenter, that could be the issue.

I use 1/2 bbl sanke kegs regularly and always had to take apart to clean. Take the spear out and hook your coupler up to it so you can visually see what flow is coming out if your keg was upside down in cleaning position. One chugger pump barley trickles solution down the sides of the spear. 2 pumps in line get the solution about a 1/4" above the spear. My city water full boar will push the water about an inch above the spear and just enough to lightly tickle the bottom of the keg. I think you kegmenter set up might not have as much restrictions as the ball valve in the spear but you could still test this way. The pump linked above is about 3/4hp and would crank but keep in mind it probably requires minimum 3/4" or 1" intake for it to work properly. I welded another set of 1.5" tri-clamp ports on to my 20 gallon set up so I can use it as a keg cleaning setup to feed my big pump. I got a 1hp pump from a dairy farmer that is insane for power. All in after I built stand. and control box ,cords, etc. $350ish. CIP test on my 100 gallon kettle with the valve wide open was spraying so hard that even though the lid was clipped down water would still escape the contour of the lid so I made a gasket out of silicone tube and more clamps. It also whirl pooled 85 gallons like a toilet bowl tornado. Lol. I also tried whirlpool with 2 in line chugger pumps and they don't even get any rotation, so I need an in between pump for whirl pooling or VFD pump.

Attachments

• 20201127_005923.jpg
    20201127_005923.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200316_154645.jpg
    20200316_154645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200303_193845.jpg
    20200303_193845.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
woowww thats a huge pump and the price its way too good for such head and flow, and will work fine even for conicals, im pretty much inclined for this pump

It's too good to be true. I'm sure longevity varies from unit to unit, but a friend of mine bought that same pump (without the cart) and the head to shaft seal wore out in exactly 2 hours of run time. They replaced the seal and it lasted 2 more hours. Later, he figured out that the head's orientation to shaft was angled at about 2 degrees and not adjustable. Company offered no resolution or refund.

hi all, im looking for a submersuble pumps for cip i have 2 on my mind but i the thing that im questioning about this 2 pumps its the temperature range, both seems to work only at 100F max, so im no sure if this can handdle the temperature of the PBW

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-hp...h-63477.html?utm_referrer=direct/not providedhttps://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/FloTec-FP0S4100X-Water-Pump/p72416.html
i have a BH spray ball

Everyone I know that has tried using some kind of sump pump for CIP has reported destroying it at 140F in only a few uses. Speculation is that either the heat or the PBW or both wrecks the seals. A lot of these pump cool the motor by filling the casing up with oil. So, seal failure lets water into the motor and oil in the water.

Everyone I know that has tried using some kind of sump pump for CIP has reported destroying it at 140F in only a few uses. Speculation is that either the heat or the PBW or both wrecks the seals. A lot of these pump cool the motor by filling the casing up with oil. So, seal failure lets water into the motor and oil in the water.

So Bobby_M what pumps would you recommend using for CIP.

that is one reason I picked an oil free sump pump and keep temps at 135F or below. Knock on wood I've run it about every 3 weeks for a year and a half at 135F. I do 30 min hot PBW followed by 10 min hot water followed by 10 min room temp starsan. Still working but wish it had a little more oomph.

I'm curious if anyone has experience using the Chugger Max for CIP. Looks like it would handle higher temps easily enough.

Chugger pumps (Max as well as the others) for brewing can handle above boiling temperatures (250F listed). With stainless heads, the impellers and seals are the vulnerable items (not the heads themselves).

I've been using a RipTide pump for about 18 months now. Works absolutely fine for CIP. It can handle heat and a spray ball no problem. It's become central to my brew day, recirculating wort through a HopRocket and CFC, whirl pooling, CIP and I even use it for fermentation occasionally, to recirculate fermenting wort Yorkshire Square style. I'm so attached to it now I'd be screwed without it.

I’ve got one of the Wayne Water Bug pumps. I use my hot tap water and I’ve bet I’ve washed close to 100 kegs between buying larger lots cheap and “flipping” them to pay for the ones I keep. I started using it for my fermenters too. 120F max and I’d think I get there quick. Never a problem with results.

Plus it’s super easy to make a PVC keg washer on top that’s perfect in a 6-gallon bucket. Spinning that off and add the fermenter hose takes 15 seconds.

The chugger max is pretty capable of CIP and keg cleaning making 12psi which is about twice that of the regular chugger 1/20HP pumps. The reason it's limited though is that it still is a mag drive pump to keep it strictly food grade and it's not going to make quite as much pressure as I'd like for CIP.

This one is a monster at 24PSI but get out your wallet....
1634163383798.png

The chugger max is pretty capable of CIP and keg cleaning making 12psi which is about twice that of the regular chugger 1/20HP pumps. The reason it's limited though is that it still is a mag drive pump to keep it strictly food grade and it's not going to make quite as much pressure as I'd like for CIP.

This one is a monster at 24PSI but get out your wallet....
View attachment 745514
Whoa Nelly. That is a bit more than my lovely wife would probably approve of for a cleaning pump.

Looked into this at about $700.
Called today( as CPE website says call for pricing ) and was told the pump I pictured in post #15 which is very close to the one Bobby posted is up to $860. I literally looked at it last year and it wasn't much over $700. The guy said yeah it is like everything going sky high as he complained about paying for $8 can of beer. Sorry about the misquote.

I upgraded my sump pump with some 1.5" PVC so I'm pumping through that instead of through about 60" of 1/2" ID silicone tubing. I'm happy with the performance.

I killed one of the harbor freight pumps with water that was too hot.
It had worked fine for years and then I decided to add in a submersible heater in the mix, first day with the heater killed the pump.

Latest posts

Back