Styles you would like to see commercially

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
I think we all have beer styles we wished were on tap more often when we are out. What are yours?

Mine are Kolsch and Mild. They are nice to have after a double IPA or imperial sout. Especially at a reasonable price. What do you think?

One of my favorite beers is British Dark Mild..... I have NEVER had a commercial example or brewpub example...... So, maybe I don't even like the style - all I have to go on is the ones I brew and the one's I have tasted from one other brewer. Still one of my favorite styles. But, I would love to find some "pro" versions.

Gose. I think it's coming on in much the same way Berliner Weisse has grown over the last half decade, but it's still just in its infancy.

I'd like to see more commercial Schwarzbier.

Gose. Delicious, had a great example from Westbrook Brewing. I thought... This should definitely be a thing. So refreshing.

I would love to see a good Old Ale on tap. I know that's a tall order, but I can still wish. I'd settle for Bell's Third Coast (did I say "settle"?).

One of my favorite beers is British Dark Mild..... I have NEVER had a commercial example or brewpub example...... So, maybe I don't even like the style - all I have to go on is the ones I brew and the one's I have tasted from one other brewer. Still one of my favorite styles. But, I would love to find some "pro" versions.

Milds are pretty common in Northern England... However, they tend to be cheap cold freeflow creamy cr@p, not cask-conditioned like they're supposed to be.

I still tend to get the odd pint when I have to go out drinking with my girlfriend's family in Liverpool, because it means I get less drunk and am less likely to embarrass myself...

I've only ever had the more traditional versions at CAMRA beer festivals. Think I'm going to make a chesnut mild this winter. If you were to make it to England in autumn/winter and go to any local beer festival you'll probably find one or two on tap.

Personally I'd like to see more of the interesting lager types on tap.

Milds are pretty common in Northern England... However, they tend to be cheap cold freeflow creamy cr@p, not cask-conditioned like they're supposed to be.

I still tend to get the odd pint when I have to go out drinking with my girlfriend's family in Liverpool, because it means I get less drunk and am less likely to embarrass myself...

I've only ever had the more traditional versions at CAMRA beer festivals. Think I'm going to make a chesnut mild this winter. If you were to make it to England in autumn/winter and go to any local beer festival you'll probably find one or two on tap.

Personally I'd like to see more of the interesting lager types on tap.

there used to be a shop in my town that imported British stuff. My favorite was the Jacobite wee heavy from Scotland, a close 2nd was Fullers London Pride followed by their Porter. But I also enjoyed a canned (with NO2 widget) pale mild they carried. I can't remember the name but I read reviews on it and it seems to be considered swill over your way. I think it would really come across to American drinkers, but only if it was more carbonated, unfortunately.

And I agree, I want to try more lager styles. The Germans have so many that we never see here!

I'd like to see more Altbier, Dampfbier, and Milds.

Light Lagers

j/k :mug:

As an admitted hop head, I love that I can always find an IPA on tap but more than 3 IPA taps is way too much IMO. I would just love to get more variety of anything. Milds, Bitters, Browns, German Lagers, Saisons, Stouts, Ambers, the more the merrier. The only thing I love more than a nice IPA is trying a beer I cannot normally get.

low grav stuff. Ordinary Bitters, Milds (if not too chocolatey), low grav pale ales.

American browns.

And I'll second the Barleywine! Once fall hits and the jackets come out, I'm always looking for one.

low grav stuff. Ordinary Bitters, Milds (if not too chocolatey), low grav pale ales.

American browns.

And I'll second the Barleywine! Once fall hits and the jackets come out, I'm always looking for one.

Agree. I just don't want them to cost as much as an imperial. I'd also like to see a "house" pour that's 10 Oz and a bit more reasonable.

Barleywine is delicious. Nuff said.

I'd also like to see a "house" pour that's 10 Oz and a bit more reasonable.

Ohhhhh hell yeah. A local restaurant, where get take out once in a while, sell 10oz pours, as well as pints and 20s. Happy hour, I get Yeungling 10oz for $1.63 while I wait for takeout.

A local self described "beer mecca" sells in various sizes depending on price and alcohol content. Any where from I believe 6 oz (things like DFH 120) up to 20 oz pours. They have something like 50 taps (none of them a BMC product) and probably 100's in bottle/cans. They also have a Randall that they use every Wednesday with a different beer and different infusers.

Anyway, I'd like to see more good Belgians on tap. If it isn't Blue Moon, it's hard to find any at most bars around here.

Barley Wine I feel is sadly under represented
Biere De Garde (sp?)as well

Storage is probably the issue on both of those beers- you might see a special release here and there (New Belgium's collaboration with Vivant on a BDG was quite good,) but you will have to take up space that could be used for beers that you could move faster.

I was recently turned on to a local English style brewery called Hogshead that has been putting AK (basically a pale mild) on cask all summer. It's a wonderful beer with nice flavor, built for maximum refreshment and minimal kick. I don't know that it is their best seller, but I'm telling you if there was ever a beer that you would to find at an aid station while you were running a half marathon, this is it.

Agree on Kolsch. I'd also add that I'd like to see more than Anchor's California Common and Red Hook's ESB out there.

I'd like to see cask conditioned beer served more. Some craft breweries have jumped on board with that, but I'd like to be able to walk into just about any brewery tap room and find one of their beers offered on cask.

I'd love to see a good roggenbier somewhere. It's a great style that I think deserves more credit than it is given.

I'd like to see cask conditioned beer served more. Some craft breweries have jumped on board with that, but I'd like to be able to walk into just about any brewery tap room and find one of their beers offered on cask.

Come to England :D

I'd like to see more Altbiers around too. Alaskan amber is the only thing even close to the style I can find (and its not very close imho anyways). New Glarus had a great one a few years ago, but it was only a seasonal release.

That's another thing that Hogshead is doing "right" in my book- they have the hardware to have four beers on cask, along with four or five taps for people who prefer their beer cold and fizzy. To further appeal to the homebrew crowd, they will have two casks of an identical beer on cask at one time, adding a different hop to each cask as a dry hop. Last time I was there, it was a pale ale with Saaz or EKG.

Gose. I think it's coming on in much the same way Berliner Weisse has grown over the last half decade, but it's still just in its infancy.

I'd like to see more commercial Schwarzbier.

Schells made one called Goosetown. It was okay. A coriander spiced wheat ale with a hint of salinity.

I'd like to see more black ipa's. where I'm at, metro Detroit, the only one I can find is founders black IPA. Usually when I want one ill just get a porter and a good IPA and do a Black and Tan with it.

I almost never buy beer, but I'll contribute anyway. I like sour, but I'm not a huge fan of Brett, totally agree with Gose and Berliner Weisse. The simple sour browns I've made are great; I wouldn't mind them getting popular. I'm a one-man Doppelsticke bandwagon, so I'll advocate that it becomes the next big thing. Finally, I'm for more beers that require creativity, that taste like something I've never had before.

I tend to buy beer at stores more than drink at bars so I see quite a variety, most of the styles named. I'd suggest finding a nice craft beer store that can service these issues. We do have a nice bar that is doing a lot of cask lately and constantly rotating styles.

Latest posts

Back