Stupid thought or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobbillyray

Reaction score
While out mowing the other day on a unseasonably hot day I started thinking /wondering IF I could make a refreshing "Lawn Mower beer" with some ingredients I have on hand from other brews. Now I have a nice IPA bottle conditioning and an expected great Pale Ale hope to bottle this weekend.

So I'm mowing thinking I have 3# DME, couple pounds each of cracked oats and "instant rice" about 4 oz Crystal 60 and some hops (mostly want some aroma/ flavor from the hops so thinking I'd go that route at flameout with most hops)

SO , is it worth the shot/attempt and if so how would you give this a "go", so long as it tastes pretty good ABV around even 3-4% or so would be fine (though I realize it may not make that goal)

What say the fine folks here? :mug:

Brain fart in the heat or something worth trying out?

Yeah, I think that you have the bones of a fine cream ale. I would keep the gravity low (like you said) and don't go overboard with the bittering hops. Should be a winner!

Thanks! I was concerned if the DME would have enough enzymes for the oats/rice - also forgot to say I have s-o4 or Notty for the yeast slurry (most likely do a starter as well

I'm wondering if I could maybe do 4-5 gallons or should I drop lower?

While out mowing the other day on a unseasonably hot day I started thinking /wondering IF I could make a refreshing "Lawn Mower beer" with some ingredients I have on hand from other brews. Now I have a nice IPA bottle conditioning and an expected great Pale Ale hope to bottle this weekend.

So I'm mowing thinking I have 3# DME, couple pounds each of cracked oats and "instant rice" about 4 oz Crystal 60 and some hops (mostly want some aroma/ flavor from the hops so thinking I'd go that route at flameout with most hops)

SO , is it worth the shot/attempt and if so how would you give this a "go", so long as it tastes pretty good ABV around even 3-4% or so would be fine (though I realize it may not make that goal)

What say the fine folks here? :mug:

Brain fart in the heat or something worth trying out?

I say it's only a bad idea of the beer comes out badly. Seems like an interesting thought though. I would definitely like to hear how it comes out.

I was hoping they "Might" have some LOL - but figured the oats would probably help with head retention and smooth mouth feel if I can get the % close enough....

Due to the extract making process by the time it gets to the store there aren't any left. You could do a mini mash with a pound or 2 of 2-row if you wanted to. Do a simple BIAB.

If not you can still steep the oats and it will give it some silkiness and might help head retention but won't contribute fermentable sugars unless there are enzymes.

Thanks , I'm hoping to do that without getting the "oily" still considering , what best to do with only these ingredients (could also add brown sugar IF I choose to but at the moment contemplating these items and how best to use them) I keep thinking it's worth a shot and can get something "decent" to drink on hot mowing days but have not totally convinced myself either :D

If I decide to do this "beersperiment" it is about just saying I tried it and hope it's drinkable

So how much rice and oats are you going to add? I wouldn't really do more than a half pound of each. You could use brown sugar too but that might be overwhelming with a lighter style beer. If I plug your DME and 1/2lb oats and 1/2lb rice and the C60 it puts you at about 3.4% for 4gal. I would shoot for 4gal personally. I wouldn't put a marger amount of oats and rice in either.

So how much rice and oats are you going to add? I wouldn't really do more than a half pound of each. You could use brown sugar too but that might be overwhelming with a lighter style beer. If I plug your DME and 1/2lb oats and 1/2lb rice and the C60 it puts you at about 3.4% for 4gal. I would shoot for 4gal personally. I wouldn't put a marger amount of oats and rice in either.

Actually, that was the information I was thinking/wondering about! Thanks!! so about 1/2 pound of each, should get the mouthfeel, (the Brown sugar thought was about the oily if I used too many oats btw)

:mug:

Funny even while mowing you can come up with brewing ideas, I usually pretty much follow proven recipes, so it's odd that I'd even contemplate this at all.

I want to thank everyone (so far) for their thoughts, help and opinion, this is an interesting thought if nothing else I'm thinking!

Well, I bottles some 5 gallons of Pale Ale then brewed it yesterday evening, aerated the wort a few times pitched the Notty slurry during aeration; and it was fermenting good by midnight @ 62* F in my swamp cooler setup (around 4 hours IIRC) I have no idea if it will be any good but figure at worse it will be a learning experience and who knows it might be drinkable LOL

I don't have my notes in front of me at this time but close to what we discussed I think, (though I did add a couple smashed Beano to the "oats /rice mash" (pre boil) while I bottled 5 gal of Pale Ale for grins and giggles ) not sure IF it will make any difference but this was something to 'try" and if it's drinkable it will be a plus, wanting to learn some things by doing it differently than I have tried already I suppose.

Wort smelled very good, fermenting like crazy temps are good so I think it willl "sort of be beer" at the least :mug:

Welp got it bottled up and the wait begins, smelled really good actually I'm thinking it may be pretty good stuff....

Just couldn't take the wait so cracked a 12 oz bottle, (obviously not carbed "enough" yet) and still "green" - but I think it's a winner! Nice Lawnmower beer which is exactly what I was shooting for ABV is around 4% IIRC

Thanks, was an interesting deal for me as I didn't see a recipe but thought it up while mowing ! One of those what the heck deals. Just If I could use what I had on hand and make a nice beer I'm a bit shocked it is as good as it is actually , figured "maybe drinkable" if I'm lucky LOL

Back