Stuck Sparge/- SS braid fell off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Just woke up after yesterday's Brew Day from He'll....

Stuck Mash/Sparge and after trying several techniques to clear it, my suspicions had been confirmed - the SS braid had come loose, thereby causing the spigot to perpetually clog with grains.

First ever stuck mash/sparge and first time
This has happened (3rd batch with this tun) however I have noticed the connection is not real sturdy when cleaning, etc.

I have noticed there seems to be only like a thread and a half the braid can hang on to. Always worried about it, but never happened til now. Gaaaah!! This is a used tun given to me by another brewer and he didn't mention any problems with it so I just figured it would be OK I guess.

What can I do to improve this? My first thought is the fact that it is a metal fitting (female) threading into a plastic (male) connection, is that maybe it got cross treaded. FTR, the spigot is the basic plastic "bottling bucket" spigot sold at most homebrew stores. There are not a lot of threads on it to begin with.

Tun: 5 gal Igloo Cooler.
Braid: SS braid with garden hose-type connection ring to tighten it on
Spigot: identical to the bottling bucket spigot on the Brewers Best bottling bucket (about $3-4)

What can be done to improve the strength of the connection between the 2 fittings, or is there another fitting part that has a longer threaded connection on it that I could use?

Included is a pic of the part of the "bottling bucket" valve where the SS braid threads into. As you can see, there is not a lot of thread there to thread the fitting into.

Better yet, Is there a metal spigot available that would fit?

Thanks,

Wooden

image.jpg

I'd buy a metal 1/2" bulkhead that you can thread a ball valve on the outside and a compression fitting on the inside that threads to the bulkhead and to copper pipe on the other. There is a write up somewhere.

Back