Stuck RIS; Rack onto Montrachet cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricScott

Reaction score
Hi all. I started an ris up around 1.10. I pitched two packets of s-04 and started with some very vigorous fermentation. Unfortunately, It is now stuck at 1.04 after a month in the primary.
Ive read on these forums that a good way to get fermentation going again is to rack onto a yeast cake. All I have is some apflewein that was made with montrachet that is just about done.
What do you all think? Will the wine yeast or the fact that it made apflewein produce any odd flavors? Is it worth a try?
Thanks!

I would try rousing the yeast first and moving to a warmer area. Then maybe try S-05 with a starter (or use a wine yeast or high gravity yeast). In my research I could never get confident that S-04 could handle high alcohol tolerances. So I used nottingham instead. I personally wouldnt rack to the montrachet from the apfewein because any residual flavor could possible give off tastes. Since this was an expensive batch of beer I would want to risk those flavors.

Back