Stuck Mash to Glorious Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breidenb

Reaction score
I brewed the Pumpkin Ale recipe from the Scott Jackson's recipe (July/August Zymurgy). Thinking I could throw and extra pound of oats into the grist could hurt, along with a 10 gallon mash tun (~ 1.33 not his "suggested" 1.75 ratio), pump driven direct heat system - I was headed for a train wreck.

The train wreck involve a stuck mash, a protein rest that went from a planned 10 minutes to the 60 to 90 minute range, and what was suppose to be a fairly simple mash schedule turned into a triple decoction marathon. When I finely got around to attempting to run off the wort, the sparge took over 90 minutes. One the bright side, I avoided kicking anything over and the OG was close enough to the 1.070 target at 1.072. I split the batch, oxygenated for 60 seconds, pitched 350 billion-ish cells of S-05 into one, and a similarly number of WL 566 Saison into the other carboy, and then went to bed. That was Saturday.

This morning, the fermentation god's bestowed their grace upon me: a strong fermentation in both carboys.

Pumpkin ALe Ferm 9-1-2013.jpg

Back