Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbjr1962

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently made a 5 gallon batch of hefeweizen with some old white labs yeast. I did a starter with it and it seemed dead, but I pitched it anyway. Three days later, no activity. Pitched a safbrew wb-06 that a buddy gave me that was still in date. It bubbled very slowly for around 48 hrs then stopped completely. Took a gravity reading and it was around 3.5%. I normally pitch yeast right after wort chill around 72-77 degrees. The wort cooled down to 62 in the fermenter when I pitched the safbrew yeast. I'm thinking that maybe that was too cold to pitch? I've never had this problem before, so I need some advice. Should I pitch more yeast, or give it a couple more days?
Thanks!

What's the current ambient temp where you keep your fermenter and/or the temp of the beer in it?

I'd give it more time for certain. If it hasn't been 2 weeks, I wouldn't even be taking SG readings prior to the 2 weeks, though I know most finish fermenting sooner. The extra time lets them clean up for both clarity and remove off flavors.

What's the current ambient temp where you keep your fermenter and/or the temp of the beer in it?

I'd give it more time for certain. If it hasn't been 2 weeks, I wouldn't even be taking SG readings prior to the 2 weeks, though I know most finish fermenting sooner. The extra time lets them clean up for both clarity and remove off flavors.
It's 62 degrees. I usually see more airlock activity. Is this normal with hefe? It's my first time brewing it.

Ideal temp for that yeast is between 64.4 and 78.8°F (18 - 26°C). So yeah it wouldn't hurt to warm it up some and see if that helps. Though Hefe's I think like to be on the cooler side typically. But I've never made one or really know how a good Hefe is supposed to taste.

From the little I know, pitching at a lower temp matters not. It's what your ferm temp is. And yeast tend to do better going from colder to warmer. They don't like things getting cooler once they get to working. So if your ambient temps swing by more than a few degrees, that might be something to consider too.

I've some ales that have a lot of activity all at once for 24 to 48 hours and then little to nothing for the rest of the time. Don't try to judge them by the airlock activity. If you can't see into the fermenter and can't take a sample to get an SG, then just be patient till the prescribed time arrives.

Hopefully you have access to other beers to drink in the meantime.

Get the temperature up into the upper 60s or low 70s. 62 is cooler than recommended for most ale yeasts. Also, note that if the fermenter is on a cold floor, the wort may be cooler than the room temperature.

Back