Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idle138

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed an old ale.....OG 1.090. I just checked the gravity and its 1.028. Id like it to attenuate a bit more.....didnt want a Barley wine. I used Wyeast London ale #1028(2 smack packs). I mashed at 154. Here is the recipe

6 Gal. Batch

18lbs Maris Otter
1lbs Flaked Corn
4oz Extra dark Crystal 150
4oz Chocolate malt.

1oz Magnum(16.4%) @60min
1oz Perle(6.0%) @30min
1oz Fuggles(5.2%) @10min

105min boil.

Seems like lots of fermentables and i didnt think that my mash temp was too high. Ive taken two readings over 4 days and still get 1.028. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue/solution?

Thanks

I'm gonna say you may not have a stuck fermentation, but rather that it is simply complete. You have about 69% apparent attenuation, which is just slightly lower than the yeast's profile. With that big of a beer, and only 2 smack packs, you may have under pitched. According to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html, you should have used 3.3 smack packs, or a 2.3 liter starter -- and that's assuming that the yeast was produced on brew day.

You might want to consider pitching some more yeast or gently rousing your yeast. You don't mention what temperature you are fermenting at -- perhaps let the temperature rise a little?

hercher said:
I'm gonna say you may not have a stuck fermentation, but rather that it is simply complete. You have about 69% apparent attenuation, which is just slightly lower than the yeast's profile. With that big of a beer, and only 2 smack packs, you may have under pitched. According to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html, you should have used 3.3 smack packs, or a 2.3 liter starter -- and that's assuming that the yeast was produced on brew day. You might want to consider pitching some more yeast or gently rousing your yeast. You don't mention what temperature you are fermenting at -- perhaps let the temperature rise a little?

^^This^^

I fermented at 68F. I guess i can stir up the yeast cake and bring it up to around 72. If i were to pitch more yeast what would be an appropriate strain?.....im guessing the same one i originally fermented with...but are there any other options that wont change the flavor profile....like redstar champagne yeast? I would like to finish at 1.018...hope thats possible. Thanks for the help!

I think you could use the same strain. You could add one or two smack packs, or make a small starter and pitch the entire starter. I would probably go the latter route.

Your temps look ok -- I'd rather you gently swirl your beer than stir, but that's just me. 1.018 definitely should be attainable.

Is your thermometer accurate? If it reads low you might have mashed higher l than you thought. I agree with above suggestions of using starters too. I could never get my beers to finish down to the target FG until I made starters. Good aeration helps too.

So after raising the temp and stirring the yeast cake up im down to 1.022. Which i guess can be low enough for me. I do need to start making starters. Thanks for all the advice.

Back