Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecurran3

Reaction score
Brewed my 3rd batch a few days ago, a Belgian Trippel.
When pitching the yeast, I spilled some on the counter, so the whole package wasn't added. After 2 days of vigorous fermenting, it has stopped, no CO2 being released, bubbles in the airlock, etc. I took the hydrometer reading and it read 1.030. The OG:1.081 and FG: 1.017-1.020. Also, due to a change in weather, the temperature fluctuated from mid-60's to 81 degrees F. Am I experiencing stuck fermentation because of a lack of yeast? Or did the change in temperature cause the yeast to be inactive?

I'd let it set for another 2-3 weeks then check the gravity again. It's way too soon to be thinking its stuck, airlock bubbles mean nothing.

Agreed with COLO. It will have fermented pretty quick during the 81 degree period, but it's probably still going slowly. 1.081 is a big beer. Give it a couple of days and check again if you want, but like COLO said, probably 2-3 weeks before it is really done. Also, you want it to sit for at least a few days after it is done so that the yeast can clean up the diacetyl as they prepare for hibernation

A couple of things. First if you did not make a starter you underpitched. It may get down, but you will just have to give it more time. Second, the temp fluctuation may be more of a problem. Belgian yeasts do not like to be cooled down after they start. So if your temp was in the 80's and then went to the mid sixties, this could cause the yeast to stall, and it is hard to get it to start again.

At this point it has only been a few days, waaaaay to early to decide if it really does have a problem. Belgian yeasts can take off fast, but then slow to a crawl to finish up.

Here is a good quote from Brew Like a Monk...

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. I can take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%"

The best thing you can do now is to try to stabilize the temp at the higher end of the recommended range for that yeast, and let it sit for a couple of weeks. For an OG of 1.081 let it go for at least 3 more weeks and then check the gravity.

Good luck.

I brewed a bguim triple brewers best kit, got stuck @ 1.031 tryed a few things to get it going again didt work. So I ended up bottleing at 1.031 on my 6th week in primary (2 weeks ago) no bottle bombs yet but its conditioning at 63 dagrees.

Its to early to tell if your stuck yet. Give it 2 or 3 weeks take another reading to see if you hit your target FG. Good luck

EnjoyGoodBeer,
I've ran into the same situation. 2 weeks later and its still at 1.030. Added some extra yeast hoping it might start back up, but nothing happened. Did you get any bottle bombs? Or should I be good to bottle in a couple of days

ecurran3 said:
EnjoyGoodBeer,
I've ran into the same situation. 2 weeks later and its still at 1.030. Added some extra yeast hoping it might start back up, but nothing happened. Did you get any bottle bombs? Or should I be good to bottle in a couple of days

No i didt, but there sitting at 63 dagrees. I figured everything whent doorment there was nothing left for anything to happen.

How long has it been in your primary?

ecurran3 said:
2 1/2 weeks. I'm planning on bottling next week to let the yeast I added settle to the bottom

That doesnt seem to be that long. I had mine sit in primary for 6 weeks.

What temp is your firmintation? As for being only bit over 2 weeks. I don't think I would bottle that just yet. Im not tis experiance on this kind of thing.

You could look at my post I made on my stuck fermintation by clicking on my name and seeing what others have said.

Brewed my 3rd batch a few days ago, a Belgian Trippel.
When pitching the yeast, I spilled some on the counter, so the whole package wasn't added. After 2 days of vigorous fermenting, it has stopped, no CO2 being released, bubbles in the airlock, etc. I took the hydrometer reading and it read 1.030. The OG:1.081 and FG: 1.017-1.020. Also, due to a change in weather, the temperature fluctuated from mid-60's to 81 degrees F. Am I experiencing stuck fermentation because of a lack of yeast? Or did the change in temperature cause the yeast to be inactive?

What was the recipe? Mash temp if all grain?

Very well, I'll probably let it sit for a total of 4 weeks and put it into a secondary so I can start my next batch. Temp is pretty steady around mid 60's, but I don't really have a way to keep it consistent in my apartment right now. When you crack the first bottle open, let me know how it turns out.

ecurran3 said:
Very well, I'll probably let it sit for a total of 4 weeks and put it into a secondary so I can start my next batch. Temp is pretty steady around mid 60's, but I don't really have a way to keep it consistent in my apartment right now. When you crack the first bottle open, let me know how it turns out.

Already did, there good still young but very drinkable.

Think they have been bottled for 2 or 3 weeks?

Yeah get to brewing another batch. Id say after 4 weeks total ( in your case your already on 2 weeks wait another 2) and nothing happends id bottle it. Some people will say dont, but Speaking for my situation I did and it turned out good. They are getting better each week. Just ended up with around 7abv instead of 8-9abv

The temp fluctuated from low 60's to 70's, for the most part. I may rack it to a secondary and let it sit for another 2 weeks before bottling.

Let me know how it turned out once you've had a bottle

i apologize for the redundancy, still getting used to the navigation here. Glad to hear it turned out alright. 7% is where mine should be according to the hydrometer readings.

Yeah still no problem with mine except I dont really care for the beer, not sure because it didt finish or just that its still young. But all in all its beer and it does its job ( not really tast wise) it seems to sweet.

What brand was your kit? I did a brewers best. Im assuming if it was the same kit they gave us garbage yeast. I dobt remember what it was tho. It seems that it has been long enough for you to try and bottle. Maybe keep the bottle conditioning at a lower temp to help reduce possible bottle bombs. ?

Also what i did was didt add all the priming suger, now that I have done that I think I would have been okay adding all the priming suger. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck keep me posted on your progress!

- James

Also a Brewer's Best kit for me. The kit came with Fermentis Safale S-33 Ale Yeast (green package). Since i've already racked it to a secondary, I'll let it sit a week and bottle. Hopefully, if all else went well, it will be a solid brew come Christmas time.

ecurran3 said:
Also a Brewer's Best kit for me. The kit came with Fermentis Safale S-33 Ale Yeast (green package). Since i've already racked it to a secondary, I'll let it sit a week and bottle. Hopefully, if all else went well, it will be a solid brew come Christmas time.

Might be, who knows maybe with more age mine will tast better, but like i said as of now its really sweet not in the best way.

Back