Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
My first brew, an Irish red, extract kit with steeping grains, its pretty much finshed. Its OG was 1.062 and it has been at 1.020 for the last 4 days. I used Nottingham dry yeast. This final gravity seems a little hight to me. What would you do.

It fermented around 63 degrees the first 3 days and then after that the temps dropped off as my basement got colder. The past couple of days its been around 58 degrees. Its been in the fermenter for a total of 9 days now.

Warming it up could get the yeast going again. That is way on the low end for an Ale yeast. Bring it upstairs and let it warm up.

(Edit: Recommended temp is 64-70, try getting it to the higher end of that range and give it a few days to get going again.)

I know its a little on the colder side, but the Nottingham is supposed to do fine down to 57 degs.

I'm not opposed to moving it, I've even heard of gently shaking it to re-suspend the yeast.

I guess my main question is, do you think that my yeast has stalled out, or is the beer finished? I'm at about a 68% attenuation.

mykayel said:
I know its a little on the colder side, but the Nottingham is supposed to do fine down to 57 degs.

I'm not opposed to moving it, I've even heard of gently shaking it to re-suspend the yeast.

I guess my main question is, do you think that my yeast has stalled out, or is the beer finished? I'm at about a 68% attenuation.

64-70 is what I found for the temp range for Nottingham Dry Yeast.
Did your kit tell you what final gravity should be?

unfortunately it did not tell me an expected final gravity. I have moved it to a warmer place, so we'll see if this helps at all. I'll definately make sure it ferments in a warmer place for my next batch. Thanks for all your advice.

Back