Stuck fermentation... I think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrup85

Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my first post as I am new to the forum (well I have been reading a lot) and I am new to homebrewing. Just finished brewing our fourth batch of beer on Saturday (6/27/15) using Northern Brewer’s Sierra Madre Pale Ale kit. We opted for the liquid yeast (Wyeast 1056) and did not make a starter. What’s wrong is that I am really surprised at the bubbling I am getting through the airlock on our primary bucket. It was in the basement at around 60 degrees with a blow off setup and it didn’t seem to be bubbling at all (72 hours in). We then moved the fermenter into the garage (~64 degrees) and put on a standard airlock. Still no bubbling, but the water has moved over to one side. I was thinking of adding a packet of dry yeast (Safale US-05) to speed things along. However, when I drew off a sample from the spigot to take a specific gravity reading, I found that it is at 1.022 (OG 1.046). What’s going on? Could this slow fermentation be a result of underpitching by not making a starter? Is there something I should do to speed things along? Or should I just leave it be? I’m worried fermentation might just stop completely or that we may get off flavors in the beer if we do nothing.

Never rely on airlock activity as an indicator of fermentation. Given that you've dropped to 1.022 you clearly have fermentation going. More than likely you just have a leak somewhere. Are you using a carboy, bucket, or something else? If a bucket, then it's more likely that there is a leak in the seal on your lid. Not a big deal though.

Just smelled around the lid. Hmm... there is a sweet smelling spot. Pulled up the lid on that side to reset the seal. I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back