Stuck fermentation..help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
So, it appears I have run into my first stuck fermentation. My OG was 1.080, and the yeast seem to have given up at 1.038. The reading is the same as it was 3 days ago.

I used s-33 that I rehydrated and pitched and have been fermenting at 65 degrees. The brew is a sweet chocolate milk stout, and I have some London ESB Ale yeast on hand, and I was thinking about pitching that in to finish it off.

What would you guys do if you were me? Would you just run to the LBHS and pick up some yeast in the morning or pitch the Wyeast London ESB?

Rouse the yeast and warm it up. If that doesn't restart fermentation, then create a starter with a well attenuating yeast and pitch it at high krausen. Good luck.

I had the same prob with a porter. Got stuck at 1.036. Tried warming up fermenter , rousing yeast, pitching on top of a yeast cake. Nothing brought it down. Bought some yeast energizer and US-05. Boiled yeast energizer on stove. Rehydrated the yeast added it to the fermenter. Got it down to 1.026. Was good enough for me bottled it. No bottle bombs either.

My IPA was stuck at 1.048 from 1.085 due to multiple bad ideas on my part. I use cal V and heated it up to 72 and roused. I got it down to 1.030 and is still going, slowly (1pt/day ish). The grav samples taste ok, no noticeably strong esters.

and goodluck.

S-33 is pretty well renowned for stalling if the temps aren't bumped up as the initial phase starts winding down and temp of the brew drops. Kicking it up to 72-75 should have the required effect and I'm pretty sure won't result in any off flavours at this point in the process.

I wouldn't even worry about 3 days of stuck fermentation. In my area, sooner or later we'll get a nice warm day and things will get going again. My craft room is pretty much temp controlled in the summer, and yeast love it. But in the winter, it's up and down. Set and forget. Your yeast will get back to fermenting when it warms up enough. A warmer day, just move it to the window with a dark sheet over it, if glass, or even if it's not glass. Black absorbs heat.

Latest posts

Back