Stuck fermentation, but already in the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schol-R-LEA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've run into a bit of a problem with the beer from this month's CHS group brew. I went to bottle the porter (brewed 2 Feb 2014, OG 1.056) today, and when I checked a sample by hydrometer, it was still at 1.025. The sample was cloyingly sweet, as you would expect given the low attenuation.

I was using a sample of Denny's Favorite 50 which had been washed by a fellow Cover Hopper, Ryan Collier, and had pitched it from a 1L starter (I only let it grow for about 15 hours, but I used a stir plate and it seemed to be going well when I pitched it). It had fermented quite vigorously earlier, but now it seems it has stalled on me after three weeks.

Unfortunately, I didn't check the sample's gravity until after I had primed and bottled the beer. I haven't capped them yet (the caps are sitting loosely on the bottles, to cover them while the initial CO2 purges the oxygen), and I am wondering if I should pour the beer back into a fermenter and pitch some fresh yeast into it. If I cap them, I'd be afraid I'd get bottle bombs, but the last thing I want is to risk infection and oxidation by returning it to the fermenter. It is currently primed with 3.2 oz, or roughly 1 oz / gallon, which is already high (I forgot that it was only 3 1/4 gallons when I prepared the priming sugar). Any suggestions?

On the advice of another CHS member, I've poured the batch back and re-pitched it with some Nottingham, just to make sure it ferments out.

On the advice of another CHS member, I've poured the batch back and re-pitched it with some Nottingham, just to make sure it ferments out.

But you probably oxygenated it at that point. I hope it turns out.

Back