stuck ferm due to temp rise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
Hi. I have had a creamy wheat beer fermenting since friday night. Thje temperature in the Philly area rose into the high 80's today, and i seem to have lost all bubbling. I know that airlock is no serious indication as far as whether or not fermentation has stopped; and I also know that there is a chance that the temp rise caused fermentation to stall. The temp erature in the house today got up to around 79F. but fermentation visibly slowed down starting yesterday. I plan on leaving this in primary for another week or so anyway, and i have already 'swamp cooled' it with a wet t shirt, and a move to the basement bathroom.

Please dont bash me for not using the search tool....I did. Everything up until this part of my post was just to give you a bit of background. Now, here is the question.

Since this is my first wheat beer....do wheat beers generally take as long to ferment as barley beers?

Thank you.

Yep, though the yeast probably made quick work of things at 79F. I think there's a strong chance you're at or near your expected final gravity.

OP, the change to cooler temps could also have resulted in lower pressure inside the fermenter. You could see signs of fermentation resume after a period of time.:mug:

MalFet said:
Yep, though the yeast probably made quick work of things at 79F. I think there's a strong chance you're at or near your expected final gravity.

+1. Your primary fermentation is probably finished up. Check gravity and compare to OG.

wheats usually finish visible fermentation (bubbling) in a day or 2. the fermentation continues for a week, then the yeast cleans itself up for a few days. they're much faster than all-barley beers. i leave them fermenting for 11-14 days is all, and barley beers get a minimum of 21 days before keg-conditioning

Thanks for the responses. since I do have 2lbs. of dme in this beer, I'm going to wait a few days before I even take a gravity reading. No need to cause a possible infection by opening up too much.

Back