Stuck cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmiser85

Reaction score
Ok, I have never made hard cider so I decided to go with 1gal. I bought unfiltered apple juice, EC-1118 yeast and apple juice concentrate. I poured the concentrate in and topped it off with juice. I pitched the entire packet of yeast that I re-hydrated on top, popped the stopper and airlock on then set it up on the shelf. The bubbles were going ok for a day then it seems to have almost stopped now. I haven't done an exact time, but it seems to be a bubble or 2 per minute. I started this on Friday 6/8. Any suggestions or tips? How much time should it ferment for before I bottle it?

Take gravity reading and then post. Is the only way to answer your questions. An original gravity would also be helpful

EC-1118 is an aggressive yeast. What temperature are you fermenting at? And like mentioned before, what was the starting gravity and the current gravity?

I failed to take a starting gravity. But I do have some of the juice remaining and tested it, which would be close minus the concentrate I added. The gravity of the juice is 1.055. I am getting something like 0.095 now and it's been fermenting around 65-68 degrees.

.995 I think you mean.

In this case your ferment is complete, its just off gassing at this point. And yes ec1118 is a very quick yeast. It's supplied with most wine kits because of its tried and true nature.

You're ready to either age or bottle at this point.

Yes, I meant .95, sorry. OK, So I only have 1 glass jug, I have cleaned and sanitized a plastic spring water container. Is it OK to transfer the batch to this water container, wash the glass jug, transfer back and then top the glass jug off with plain cider and age it for a bit?

Is it OK to transfer the batch to this water container, wash the glass jug, transfer back and then top the glass jug off with plain cider and age it for a bit?
Shouldn't be a problem, just try to keep the splashing to a minimum.

I siphoned it out of the jug and back into the jug, topped it off with additional cider. How long should I age it? Or is the aging just to clear it up? As my final step, I intend to bottle it with a light carb and let that sit for around 2 weeks.

Cider gets better with age. It should be clear by bottling, but then realize you are going to retard that clearing by topping off your carboy, and by bottle carbonating. Any time you add sugar you kick start your yeast.

Thank you for the advice. I didn't have to add very much to top off. But hope that it will clear in a month. I really just wanted to see what type of results I would get with the ingredients I had. I will do some further reading around this site before I attempt my next batch which will more than likely be a full 5 gallon batch.

I like to add a pack of super kleer which is sold at home brew stores for a few bucks. It's chitosan and kelisol which will clear out your cider literally overnight. You can then bottle right away and let it age in the bottle which will free up your carboys for another batch.

I will look for that today on my way home, because I would prefer to age it in the bottles. Should I store in the a cool dark place or in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back