Struggling with my Counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a 18' cf chiller, 5/8 diameter garden hose, with a 3/8 id copper tube. I'm only getting a 100 degree drop, leaving my wort I. An ice bath in Florida for 4-5 hours to hit pitch.

I think my ID to OD tolerance is too tight. Has anyone run 1" hose, or can recommend the right configuration to get a cold side down to pitch in one shot? I want to stay with the garden hose, not a over back copper contraption if I can.

I have tried, metering the wort flow, in and out, putting the input hose in an ice bath, still about 100 degree drop. I'm a noob to brewing so seeking advice.

My Counterflow chiller design is here on my Blog

https://handcraftedale.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/building-a-counterflow-wort-chiller/

Thanks

Thanks, I'll rebuild it.

On an annoying addition both my digital thermometers did not read correct, it held at 82 for two hours, then I checked it, the second thermometer read 147, then after resetting 119. I pitched on faith, and in my fermentation chamber learned it was 62. Now I'm waiting for the darn wort to warm up. Ugh.

Anyone want to buy a 18' CF wort chiller, it will drop 212 degree wort up to 100 degrees? I will throw in two questionable digital thermometers.

Back