Strong bite..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
Every batch that i make (Partial mash) seems to have a strong bite to it. It's difficult to describe the taste, but it sort of over powers the beer. It is sharp (possible astringency), and it is the strongest down at the bottom were the yeast has settled in the bottle. Maybe it is the yeast (safale-US05), but i dont think it should have that strong of a taste. It's annoying becuase it cover up the citrus notes of the hops, etc.
No matter the style, it is always there.
I cant figure out where it is coming from. any ideas?
The only cure that i have found for it is to let the bottles condition for a while. My current batch is going on 4 weeks in the bottle, and the taste is still pretty apparent.

You say the bite is strongest at the bottom of the bottle. I assume this means you're drinking out of the bottle (otherwise how would you know, since if you pour into a glass it's all mixed up). You need to drink homebrew out of a glass or else every time you take a drink you get the yeast mixed up into the beer. Yeast can give the beer a "bite".

Pour your beer smoothly into a glass and leave about 1/4-1/2" of beer behind in the bottle and see if that takes care of the problem.

I do pour it into a glass. I know it is worse at the bottom because when i smell the bottle (after i pour it) I get that taste/smell really strong. I have drank the yeast and it was a really strong taste.

I usually ferment around 70 degrees. Occasionally a little higher.

Pitch temp... that's a good question. I have never checked. I usually pour the wort into 1 gallon of cold water, then pour cold or room temp water up to five gallons, then pitch the dry yeast.

im thinking you might be getting fusel alcohols from higher temp fermentation?

I got some in my first batches, before reading more and more, luckily they aged out pretty well in the bottle.
on the next batches, I've been careful to get the temps down to atleast 68 before pitching my yeast and trying to hold the ambient temps no higher than 68. the fermentation process produces some of its own heat so it can get several degrees higher than your room temperature and from what I understand these higher temps can create the fusel alcohols.
I noticed in my first batches, these really seemed to be prevalent in the bottom of the glass. im not sure why that is, but thats what I noticed

That's definitely possible. If you're going from boil, adding room temp or cool water, that's not going to be enough to get it down below 70, which is a good pitching temp for most ales. I'm guessing you're pitching really hot.

Yeast can give a "bite" to the beer, so that might explain why it is stronger at the bottom of the bottle. The yeast bite might just be accenting the fusel alcohols.

I would think you might take a really close look at your brewing process and ensure all the "little" things are being done right. I've been brewing for a year or so and am always amazed at how big a difference some seemingly innocuous detail can make. Like you say you partial mash...I did my first partial mash a while ago so I can relate. How careful were you with your temps? How did you handle your grains (i.e. a person might "squeeze" their grain bag and get excess tannins)? Etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, just sayin' there could be something in your process that's givin' you this "bite" but asking the HBT community to help you figure it out is a tall order when we don't know anything about your brewday. The info on fermentation temps already led to a good suggestion; I had no idea how much ferm temps mattered; now that I do I control them pretty carefully. Having said that, before I knew better I fermented lots of batches warmer than I should have and never had I would characterize as a "biting" flavour, but you should still definitely ferment cooler if you are able.

Good luck; hope ya figure it out!

chshrecat: I cool the wort first. I'm not that big of a noob.
Yeah, its so difficult to pinpoint where flavors are coming from. I need to meet another homebrewer so i can have them try mine and critique it.

Latest posts

Back