Strawberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersdeep

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed a Strawberry Wheat which was my first attempt with fruit. I just peeled back the lid to check the specific gravity (1.010 from the OG 1.054) but found the top filled with a yeasty shell of what's left of the strawberries. This proves that next time I will use a secondary. I'm going to let it sit for two more days before rechecking the gravity. My question is, What do I do with the gunk at the top? Should it be there? Do I drop the siphon below it? Or will it drop in a few days?

The sample tasted good, a bit tart. It doesn't look moldy, just like what I normally see at the bottom with just the faintest trace of strawberry shapes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Siphon through it. It'll be fine. The strawberries will probably look like gray shapeless goo. Drink the batch young. Strawberries will fade fast in the flavor department. If you like it, please share your recipe. I've still not made a strawberry batch that satisfies me.

That's exactly what they look like. I'm brand new at this so don't trust my recipe yet.

6# Wheat DME
.5# Dk. Munich
1# Flaked Wheat

1.5oz Hersbrucker for 30 min
0.5oz Tettnang for 15 min
0.5oz Tettnang for 0 min

Add Wyeast 1010

Mash for 60 min @ 152F
Boil for 1 hour

Add 8lbs of frozen strawberries to fermenter.

Thanks for your help.

Just did something like this for my last batch, I'm actually going to try the first one tomorrow. Just get under the berries and you'll be fine. try not to disturb them too much though. I swirled what was left of them in the carboy after racking before dumping them on the compost pile and they very quickly turned to mush.

Back