Pomegranate wheat fermented out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beren

Reaction score
My first time brewing my own recipe, half 2row, half wheat, ~20 IBU and some german Mellon hops at flameout. Added a 60oz bottle of pom juice near FG and the beer turned nice and dark, smelled wonderful. 3 days later the beer has a minor purple tint and I can't taste anything from it really. It might have a tiny bit of tartness but it's really hard to tell. FG also dropped to about 1.010, I was hoping it would be a little higher mashing at 154. I'm using some allagash yeast fermented at 65 but with the juice it got a little sulfury.

I guess to have any sort of pom taste I need to pasteurize/add sulfates and add more juice? Or should I just make an infusion of orange and coriander and give up on the pom? The beer tastes very bland. I added a little stevia to a glass and it wasn't the right solution.

Man, I love pomegranates, I remember buying grapefruit size ones for 25 cents to eat while walking home from high school back in the stone age ;)

I expect 60 ounces of juice just doesn't pack enough character to dominate the brew, and one would probably have to use a concentrate or at least a puree instead. I brew a raspberry hibiscus wheat beer that uses a pound of raspberry puree per gallon with just a quart of hibiscus tea to get an intense fruit-forward result and brew the base wheat beer to a higher OG than "normal" to even out the post-fermentation dilution...

Cheers!

Sigh. I believed the bottle saying it was the juice from 15 pomegranates. Figured that would be good.

Back